Potential Threat to Bottle Diving // Divers/ Snorkelers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I know conch its all good. You have to admit its built for survival. In all my time underwater, never been bothered by bass or trout. Im probably going to be fine in the Northeast, but the rest of you are screwed[:D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

...maybe they will adapt to colder spawning grounds... [:-]

MAYBE THEY WILL START TO FLY AND KILL US ALL!![8|]

5F145E6B525841A89E59CE0CAE9B3F31.jpg

Attachments

• 5F145E6B525841A89E59CE0CAE9B3F31.jpg
    5F145E6B525841A89E59CE0CAE9B3F31.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 67

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Interesting post Coldwater. If they start getting aggressive, I will report it on here immediately. So, far, the biggest and baddest fish where I am diving are muskeys and they are almost never threatening (or threatened). The more common occurance is that some fish are annoying. Sometimes the carp swim back and forth, back and forth. They stir things up, smash into wet suits, and generally act crazy. Basically, something is different with a diver down there and they don't know how to handle it. Stupid but certainly not aggressive. If those snakeheads appear, I guess they could get annoying.

The next thing is though, even if they did attack, it is unlikely that they could do you any harm as long as you are suited up. Almost every inch of skin is covered and it won't taste good if you bite it. I doubt they could hurt you much if they tried.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Bob, Yea I havnt seen a mean fish yet. I just learned about this fish a few days ago. I am reading up a bit and they look very much like the wolf fish that thrives in the coldwaters of new england. I have heard many a tale about people who spear fish these guys. apparently if you just wound them and you feel the line go slack. That is because its turned around and coming for you. I just go to the fish store.

6D26CF3004DA449983927D6C40D6E1AF.jpg

Attachments

• 6D26CF3004DA449983927D6C40D6E1AF.jpg
    6D26CF3004DA449983927D6C40D6E1AF.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 67

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
How do the Wolf fish taste? I assume that it is a salt water critter?

I once had a largemouth take a nip at my leg one spring. My guess is that I swam too near a nesting area. I was surprised because I watched it happen. It looked intimidating, like a fish attacking, but I could hardly feel it. It was only a light tap on my thigh.

On another day, actually a December dive, just weeks before everything froze over, I was in the big muskey lake. I walked into the water so I had no boat or anything. As I was clawing along hunting bottles, I had that weird feeling that someone was watching me. Impossible when you're at the bottom, right? I looked around and a large muskey (easily over three feet) was directly in front of me facing sideways (perpendicular) to me. I always stop and check them out when I see them because they are awesome. It was still just sitting there along the bottom. Understandable when the water is so cold. After a half minute or so, it darted off so fast I didn't see it go. Pow, it was gone. I went back to hunting. Then I see (or feel) an object creeping into my field of vision alongside me. It's that huge fish. I turn and bam, it's gone. Now, of course, I'm looking for it. A few mintues later it parallels me on the other side.

I thought that this was very odd behaviour for this fish. I considered what would happen if it attacked. It does have razor sharp (and pointy) teeth. However, the water was cold and I had 1/4 inch thick neoprene over every square inch of my body- except maybe right around my mask. The depth was about five feet. If the thing attacked, I would stand up and start walking towards shore (which was within 75 feet). I was confident that even a rabid fish couldn't harm me much.

Of course, after all that planning, the fish never came back into view.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Bob nice story and a beauty of a fish as well. It looks similar to a Baracuda. It has been some time since I actually had wolf fish. I remember I liked it. It tasted like Monkfish or Lobster. I am going to have to go to the local fish store to ask them to get some for me.

I was thinking of one time when I first moved up to the NH Me area almost 25 years ago. I know I said I was never bothered yet underwater but with one exception. I was just snorkeling in Patukaway Lake in NH. I was in 4-5 foot water. I saw an odd moving shape about 15' or so away from me. It was black and moving this was and that almost like a small black cloud. I moved closer for a better look. Well it was a cluster of baby (jet black colored) catfish. It really was cool like a bait ball you see on the underwater nature shows. Then I noticed one of the parents I guess come b/w the babies and myself acting aggressive so I backed up. I felt a sting the next moment on my ankle I looked to see another catfish going after my flippers. I dont know how but it got my ankle. I was ok that day but all night into the next day my ankle and foot swelled up bigtime. Still not sure what happened but if you come across a catfish baitball steer clear.

Ever heard of noodling, you use you arm as bait. Once again I will go to the fish store.

C062CADB51AC47C29BC12BC55818546C.jpg

Attachments

• C062CADB51AC47C29BC12BC55818546C.jpg
    C062CADB51AC47C29BC12BC55818546C.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 76

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member