Powell's Embrocation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
This is one of those one's I picked up just because I liked it. Just under 8" tall, hinge mold, embossed on 3 sides /POWELLS EMBROCATION/ 602 S 2nd ST/ PHILADA. Crude with some nice whittle & looks & "feels" like 1860's. Don't expect it's worth a fortune, just wonderin' if anyone has seen another? A scarce one maybe? [8|]

Gd93493.jpg

Attachments

• Gd93493.jpg
    Gd93493.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 82

Miles

Reaction score
I don't think it's that old because usually the crown tops around back in the 1850's-60's were smaller, it's just something I notice on lots of the older crown tops.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
POWELLS EMBROCATION/ 602 S 2nd ST/ PHILADA

I have not seen that bottle. Baldwin lists an ad for Powell's Rheumatic Embrocation seen in 1887. That's most likely your bottle. I'd say its probably 1880's period, possibly late 1870s (its a bit hard to see photo). I'm assuming the lip is tooled and not applied?

Anyway it seems fairly rare. Some Philada collect would probably pay decent for it.

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Miles: I thought most of the double ringed tops were smaller on the later bottles - and this one is on the smaller side I think. (guess that would just shoot my own estimate down wouldn't it).
GH: It is an an applied lip, I tried to take better pics, my camera isn't too cooperative. The mold mark is hard to see on the base also. Could be 1870-80 I guess. Either way I picked it up cheap & I think I'll keeper for awhile. Thanks!

Frank

Wu60108.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60108.jpg
    Wu60108.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 58

Miles

Reaction score
Sorry bout that- it was hard to see the lip in the front.

By the way there's another bottle like yours named "Powell's Rheumatic Embrocation."

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Definitely late '60s to early '80s time frame for that manufacturing technique. Of course, this depends on the glass house that blew the bottle, as some "modernized" before others did. The type of applied top and "sparklematic" glass makes me lean toward the earlier portion of the time frame, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski