pre-1900 Hires

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jcrlanger

Reaction score
Well I haven't gotten a bottle out of this one area for months and decided to give it another go. I found that the rain had broken the ground up and collapsed some areas. After clearing an area I started finding broken glass and then jackpot! This amber Hires is BIM and has some very nice texture. You can tell the maker had the mold slightly tilted as the neck is slightly crooked and one seam is heavier than the other. Not sure exactly when Hires made this bottle but the rest of the bottles around this site have been earliest 1907. I'm confident that this is a pre-1900 crown top.

l.jpg

l.jpg

If anyone knows anything about this please feel free to share.
thanks
John

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
jcrlanger ~

Those amber Hires bottles have always intrigued me, in addition to being a bit of a mystery. They are actually somewhat common, showing up on e-bay and elsewhere on a fairly regular basis. However, I have yet to see an old advertisement illustrating them. For me they fall into the category of bottles that were popular around circa 1910 when so many bottlers (especially Coca Cola) thought that amber bottles were the way of the future. Apparently someone thought that amber bottles "Protected the Delicate Flavor" of the beverage. But with the exception of brands like "Orange Crush" and a handful of others, this trend gradually fell to the wayside.

I am assuming when you say "BIM" (Blown in a mold) that you are referring to the mold seam that ends on the neck/shoulder area of the bottle. This is typically true, and generally accepted as being a characteristic of pre-ABM (Automatic Bottle Machines) that were first introduced around 1905-06.

Pre-ACL bottles (1934) can often times (at least for me) be difficult to precisely date. But what works best for me is either the presence or absense of the "contents" on the bottle. Generally speaking, if it has the contents on it, (I.E; 6oz - 8oz - etc.) it is more than likely a post (after) 1913-1914 bottle. For it was along about this time that the Gould Admendment was first introduced requiring food and drug producers to clearly show the contents on their various containers, especially bottles.

Does your amber Hires bottle have the contents embossed on it?

I hope this helps.

SPBOB

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
However, I have yet to see an old advertisement illustrating them.
Hi Bob, I wonder how much could be artist interpretation. Could it be that the ads were there but not showing the actual bottle of the moment? This inquiring mind wants to know.[8|]
Also.
Apparently someone thought that amber bottles "Protected the Delicate Flavor" of the beverage.
I remember a big push from someone about a beer being made in amber or green for just that reason 20-30 years ago. Then of coarse Hood came out with the light block bottle about 10 years ago now?
It may be an advertising ploy that goes back 100 years.[:D]

epackage

Reaction score
If the earliest bottles were 1907 what makes you think this is before 1900 ??

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cows ~

I hear ya regarding ... "ads were there but not showing the actual bottle of the moment?" The link below should take you directly to 239 Hires ads. Check it out. It is where I get most of my old magazine ads. And while you are there, note the following ...

1. The fourth ad on top is incorrect. It indicates a crown closure dated 1889. I am sure they meant 1899 (or thereabouts) because the crown closure was not introduced until 1892 by William Painter.

2. The 2nd 1901 ad shows two bottles with corks. This does not mean that Hires itself was producing corked bottles at the time, but rather that it was still being done at home from extracts and bottled and corked by homebrewers. Hires used to sell kits for many, many years that included corks for home use. My dad is 89 years old and remembers doing this well into the late 1920s.

So the bottom line for me is; Those amber Hires bottles are circa 1910 (1905 to 1915).

epackage ~ Good question!

SPBOB

Link:
http://www.gono.com/adart/new/bc_year_new.php?page=ALL&cat_id=2&name=Hires&type=E[/align]

jcrlanger

Reaction score
epackage ~ sorry mispoke (half awake when I typed that), the newest bottle I have ever found there dated between 1906-07. Myself and a couple of other individuals have pulled out bottles from the mid-1800's. This part of Charlotte was known as "Old Town" and had a bunch of old dwellings.

Bob ~ There is no contents embossed anywhere on this bottle. The side base in the picture has "Hires" above "REGISTERED" above "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED". The bottom base has "PAT. APP'D FOR" with factory mark of "I W M" and the mold mark of "2". I have seen no mention of the glass factory mark of "I W M" so that has me quite intrigued.

thanks for the comments
John

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jcrlanger

epackage ~ sorry mispoke (half awake when I typed that), the newest bottle I have ever found there dated between 1906-07.  Myself and a couple of other individuals have pulled out bottles from the mid-1800's.  This part of Charlotte was known as "Old Town"  and had a bunch of old dwellings. 

Bob ~ There is no contents embossed anywhere on this bottle.  The side base in the picture has "Hires" above "REGISTERED" above "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".  The bottom base has "PAT. APP'D FOR" with factory mark of "I W M" and the mold mark of "2".  I have seen no mention of the glass factory mark of "I W M" so that has me quite intrigued.

thanks for the comments
John
Here is what seems to be your bottle in very nice condition...Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260726258881+&si=fGOcBuR0%252FyM31buwtwm%252FVrznMR8%253D&viewitem=

fishnuts

Reaction score
Seems I have one, too.
No contents size either.
Marked on the base: P C G W 4
and, PAT. APP'D. FOR around edge.
Wow! Pre 1913, eh?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[*]For Fishnuts ~
[*]
[*]P/C in duo-segmented parallelogram ... Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). This mark was introduced in 1919, and used on ware until about 1930. Source on 1919 date: Peterson (1968:49).
[*]
[*]P/C in a square ... Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). This mark was used possibly as early as 1919, but was definitely in use by 1925. See other "P.C." entries.
[*]
[*]P C in a triangle ... Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). Mark was first used in either 1919 or 1925.
[*]
[*]P.C. .. Pacific Coast Glass Works (1902-1925) and it's successor Pacific Coast Glass Company, San Francisco, CA (1925-1930). The PC mark probably dates from either 1919, or 1925, and on up to 1930.
[*]
[*]P.C.G.W. ... Pacific Coast Glass Works, San Francisco, CA (1902-1925). See "P.C." marks.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski