Pre-1900 Land Fills

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stormysouth

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone have information on how to find pre-1900 land fills. I live on the Sunnyside of Louisville, KY (around here that means on the Indiana side of the river). This area dates back almost 200 years. I have copies of maps back to the late 1700's. If there was a public land fill would they have kept records? If so where/how do I find them?

Thank-you.

Lisa

PS...I love the site. It is nice to know that others share my addiction and they also are way past the point of rehabilitation.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Lisa, I don't think they kept records of that going back very far. At the library in most towns they have early maps of the town. Sometimes they may list where the dump was, if you get an early neighborhood map, done by a private person from the town, rather than a national company.
Sometimes these maps come up at local auctions. When you are trying to locate an early landfill dump, the tool you want to have with you is a post hole digger. You can take core samples down about 5 or 6 feet, and try to find debris or ash buried down low. Sometimes you can find a great dump spot just by using your intuition, figuring where they would have had a neighborhood dump way back when, then do several test holes.
Good luck !
Bram

58froggy

Reaction score
Lisa,
Most of the dumps we dug were found by walking roads that were present during that time period- although we were kids and actually playing or exploring. They may have only been dirt paths then. Specially if they are on the side of a hill or bank. Try walking half way down the bank of long drop offs or at the base of short drops. Take along a 3-pronged garden hoe or shovel to scrach around. Best hunting is after the summer vegetation has died. The previous advise is good also. Look for old farm houses in rolling hilly areas. The owners may know where the older farmers dumped. Or they may let you walk around to check all the "hollows" or "gulleys".
Good luck,
Doug

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey lisa how close to the river do you live . i allso live along the ohio. an have found that a lot of people used it for there trash dump. the problem is that dams were put in an they raised the pool of the river an covered a lot of the older stuff up . your right about the area you live in .back then it was called the falls of the ohio an the history gos back as far as the 1500s when the welsh came up the river an became a tribe of indian there selfs called the maddox. the falls were founded around 1650. walk the river youll find a dump an maybe an old one. oh an if you have maps look for the incampment areas an check them out good. lots a luck bill

stormysouth

Reaction score
I live about 7 miles from the river. I was doing a little research and found maps with the pictures of the buildings drawn on them from 1858. I found that the channel islands from 4th st. to 22nd st. had homes and business on them. I just have to figure out how to get to them. How from from Louisville are you? I think I'll take the kids to the museum down there and do a little research. Had a very productive weekend. I got permission from 5 different people to explore their property and dig. A total of about 700 acres. A couple of the places are owned by old timers who know the areas history and love to talk. They laugh at our hobby especially a 5'4" woman wanting to crawl around in the dirt. I think it helps in getting permission. Not to mention my adorable redheaded 12 yo son. Thank-you everyone for all the wonderful input. It helps alot. I can remember getting whipped when I was a little ( about 4 yo) for going to the old farm dump and dragging home bottles. Now 33 years later I'm still dragging home bottles.

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey lisa i live about 80 or so miles east on the ohio the rivers about 75 yards over the flood wall from me . wow 700 acres to exsplore sounds fun lots luck bill

stormysouth

Reaction score
Bill,

Do you just walk the river looking for signs or do you have a plan of attack? I'd appreciate any tips you may have. Let me know if you are gonna be over this way.

Lisa

madman

Reaction score
hello stormy south, check out the river near nieghborhoods, old ones of course, or old farms, if you start to notice broken pottery and glass theres a good chance theres a dump nearby, also check hillsides along the river, people dumped there trash over the side, ive always found dumps by broken surface glass. some dumps are hidden, but if its a dump that was used for a long time erosion has probably unearthed bottles and broken glass good luck and have fun. oh yes and take a buddy with you!!!! mike

stormysouth

Reaction score
Thank-you madman. I'm so excited I got my first probe. I'm an assisant thoroughbred trainer and one of the owners that we train for (we got 2 wins for him this month) is a welder. I'm not sure if I gave him the right specks but I have a 4.5' stainless steel probe yesterday. We had those awful storms in Indiana yesterday but here I am with a new toy playing in the thunder, lightning wind and rain. I found what I think is an old well cap. I'll dig when it's not raining. Have a great day and thank-you again for the response.

Lisa

58froggy

Reaction score
A dedicated digger you are. Was through your area a few years ago on my way to Santa Claus/Holiday World. We passed a wonderful cavern. Meant to get back but never made it yet. Good luck diggin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete