Preserving Goldleaf

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
I just recently dug a great, large stash of stoneware pomade jars and lids with each having a different indivuals name painted in gold leaf on the side gothic style. The trouble is, its ne'er to impossible to clean these without taking off the paint (which is also very dirty). Any one have any suggestions? Thanks.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Warren - The only paint is the goldleaf lettering. I'll try to get a pic up later.

capsoda

Reaction score
If it's real gold leaf once it starts to flake it's almost impossible to save. Clean it lightly with soapy water by dabbing it with a soft cloth and your finger. Don't rub and don't use water thats too hot. Let it dry and if it looks clean enough you will need to coat it. Start with the worst one and experment with dofferent sealers.

Gold leaf was done with different bases, some enamel and some lacquer.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Warren - Im not 100% sure it's goldleaf; it looks like goldleaf, but maybe it's just gold paint. Since I have a number of these, is there any caustic that might attck the rust stains without attacking the paint/gold or whatever? Some of 'em are beat up enough that Im willing to experiment.

capsoda

Reaction score
If it is real gold leaf then the letters are gold and only an acid called aqua regia will hurt it.

It sounds like paint and almost any solvent or acid will damage it. Try one of those Oxy products.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Warren - Lookin like a lost cause. Everything I try seems to take the paint off. Whatever the mettalic element in the paint is, seems to have attracted most of the rust also. There seems to a whole stash of these in this dump; maybe one will come out clean. If nothing else Im gonna have a bunch of nice, off-white, pomade containers + lids. I'll keep you posted and thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey