Privy Dig, 1700's to early 1800's Charleston..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MT1862

Reaction score
This was one hell of a privy! And captured on video.
The privy predated the building that was on this lot in Historic Downtown Charleston, S.C. Very early 1700's Westerwald pieces were found, as well as black glass, and Mochaware bowls. and embossed open pontiled medicines.
The privy was old English brick lined, and 10' by 4', and about 12 feet deep. It took almost a week to finish her, but it was well worth the effort!
I can remember, filming Victor Svendsen, down at the very bottom of this privy, and I, holding and filming all the action on a HUGE VHS Camcorder, and enjoying every minute it!
Please excuse some of the salty language, we had no idea of the "Internet"at the time of this filming...we were making these videos for posterity...we had no idea they you, dear viewer, were to be part of this posterity!
Those were the days....so step back in time with me, and see the fruits of the early 1700's to the early 1800's, saved from progress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lyxGhOnvEI&feature=plcp

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Very cool man or should I say Far out! [:D]

I would love to be pulling bottles out of an old pit like that.

You said sorry for the language? what language ?Have you seen any of my vids[:)]

MT1862

Reaction score
Thanks Rick and Jim!
Coming from you two gentlemen, I am honored.
Way back when in the 1990's, we filmed these for fun, but, we really did it to document what we were finding...and I am happy that we did!

The best part of any of these digs, was digging with Victor....he is the best digger that I have ever seen, and he taught me tons!!

Glad ya'll enjoyed it!
Robert Bohrn

AF0E4C842C7E452FB783B5BA36BCC093.jpg

Attachments

• AF0E4C842C7E452FB783B5BA36BCC093.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 126

markh

Reaction score
Awesome video! I'm from the SC lowcountry originally, but never got to dig in Charleston, cause I was too young to get over there in the early 70's when I started collecting bottles back then. I never got to dig a privy, (didn't really know about them then), just dug farm and town dumps in Hampton and Allendale Counties. I had to get my dad to drop me off for the day or ride my bicycle when I went digging. Wish I'd known more about privy digging back then!

I was wondering about the vertical support 4x4's. Did you dig down in one side of the privy, then put those in and then dig out the other side?

Mark

j.dinets

Reaction score
Great video, brings back a lot of fun memories in Charleston. Glad you were smart enough to save the shards. Look forward to seeing more!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that you guys were saving all the shards..... I like the ceramic glue backs from early pits better then most of the bottles.

Chris

MT1862

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: markh

Awesome video! I'm from the SC lowcountry originally, but never got to dig in Charleston, cause I was too young to get over there in the early 70's when I started collecting bottles back then. I never got to dig a privy, (didn't really know about them then), just dug farm and town dumps in Hampton and Allendale Counties. I had to get my dad to drop me off for the day or ride my bicycle when I went digging. Wish I'd known more about privy digging back then!

I was wondering about the vertical support 4x4's. Did you dig down in one side of the privy, then put those in and then dig out the other side?

Mark

Thanks for the response!

As for the four by fours, the were holding uo a HUGE slab of slate, that was used to seal up the top of the privy. It was very stable, and wouldn't budge...but we figured better safe than sorry...

Thanks!
REB

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
That was a very cool dig, love the early blacks. Thanks for sharing I have not had that much excitement in a while. Funny part is as I write this my wife is visiting friends in South Carolina not far from Charleston. Heath issues kept me from going, I always wanted to check out Charleston.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MT1862

Thanks Rick and Jim!
Coming from you two gentlemen, I am honored.
Way back when in the 1990's, we filmed these for fun, but, we really did it to document what we were finding...and I am happy that we did!

The best part of any of these digs, was digging with Victor....he is the best digger that I have ever seen, and he taught me tons!!

Glad ya'll enjoyed it!
Robert Bohrn

What is that thing you have there? It looks like a pottery vase from the jolly green giants wife.[8D] is it a terracotta pipe?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey