Privy Location?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

permaspooked

Reaction score
My family owns land upstate, about 200 acres but on the property is a barn and a couple houses, the barn and main house are over 200 years old!! I have gone to this house alot when i was a kid. But dont remeber ever seeing anything that resembled a privy. I have read a couple articles on locating a privy but most examples dont line up with our property. I was wondering how to diagnose if you will the location?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it can be tough on farms. Especially if the ground has been disturbed over the years
Get a probe and start poking.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Quite often somewheres between the house & the barn(s), usually opposite or away from the well, many times downwind of the house, sometimes right off the rear or behind a wing of the house, (especially the earlier ones), many times right under the biggest darn tree on the site!, atleast these are the places to start probing.

Good Luck,
Al

permaspooked

Reaction score
currently between the house and barn is a dirt driveway and a wall of stones, Not sure the type of stone they are not cemented in just stacked to create a wall or fence, I have found sea shell fossils in some of the stones, the well is on the front lawn of the house. below that is a pond and there is a creek on the right side of the house with a spot in the wood we are not allowed near due to thats where the cesspool was put.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: permaspooked

IM NEW, IM NEW, I DONT KNOW WHAT TOO DO!!!! lol

OK Since there is 200 acres of land around the property the chances are good that the people who lived in the home in the 1800s dumped the trash in the woods and not down the outhouse hole.There is no sense in filling your outhouse with trash when you can dump in wide open spaces and woods. So it is best to look for a dump where they dumped the trash. Forget the privy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583