PURPLE PICKLE PUZZLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This is one of the first bottles I ever bought, and I still don't know anything of its origin. I suspect this bottle may be British. Is anyone here familiar with this bottle?

This pickle bottle is 7.25" tall, with an applied lip and smooth base. I estimate it dates to about 1900. The base is embossed with a __4, the first number being "smudged." Could be "94".

The body is distinctively embossed within an oval. There are two flags crossed, British and American. Along the top margin of the oval is embossed TRADE / REGD / MARK.

At the lower margin is a crude monogram with an "S" and perhaps a "W" and other stick-like marks (see close-up pic).

This bottle is figured in Betty Zumwalt's book, KETCHUP, PICKLES, SAUCES: 19TH CENTURY FOOD IN GLASS. On page 471 she says this:
The trademarked flags were unidentified, just one among many trademarks and patents not found. Perhaps someone will accidentally come across these marks and help to give some history to these desirable specimens.

Zumwalt does not mention the monogram, though it is evident in her illustration. I suspect she had as much trouble deciphering it as I have had. Perhaps someone here can decipher it.

(The yellow-amber pickle bottle in the image is a BUNKER HILL PICKLES.)

---------------Harry Pristis

Jh14407.jpg

Attachments

• Jh14407.jpg
    Jh14407.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 87

David E Dearden

Reaction score
I like the colour or color, boy I can't read it or find anything in the letters you can see.
But Harry isn't registered an English Description of our Patent, I think Trade Mark would be ours.

IRISH

Reaction score
A lot of those are found here I allways thought they where from Queensland for some reason but I don't know for sure, I think it is Australian though I've seen them with Melbourne glass makers marks.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Harry, I have one of those pickles, mine came from Australia. The lower monogram is a S and four X's. The specimen I have has no#'s on the base. I have not seen it in the "redbook". It looked "historical so I bought it. The dealer simply called it twin flags... I can't remember but I think I only gave 5 bucks for it seemed like a good deal. I hope you find out more I will be watching.... Taz

Us53156.jpg

Attachments

• Us53156.jpg
    Us53156.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 96

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
That is just super! You guys are so smart, and you have the bottles, too! Great pix, Taz!

I can see that my example was blown in a "burned out" mold, late in the mold's life.

Australian? Isn't that a British "Union Flag"? I see that you fellows "down under" didn't adopt your Federal Flag with the star field until September of 1901. Until then, the Union Flag would have been correct, I surmise.

I believe that David is correct in his observation that TRADE REGD MARK sounds British/Canadian/Australian, but I don't know if that is exclusive. It is the reason that I thought this bottle might be of British origin.

I am really pleased to have the info, so far. Thanks!

------------Harry Pristis

IRISH

Reaction score
Yep we used the Union jack until 1901, but very british trade marks where still very common for many years after. It seems that it was not the "in thing" to be proud to be an Aussie til not that many years ago [;)] .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen