Putnam Bottling Works? Anyone know it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Below is a hutch bottle from the Putnam Bottling Works; however, there is no town listed, and the only Putnam I can find associated with bottling is in Connecticut. It appears the the proprietors name is embossed below the company name. Anyone know of a D. C. Park who owned a Putnam Bottling Works?

64E853665D244BAC844A476A696C1B1C.jpg

Attachments

• 64E853665D244BAC844A476A696C1B1C.jpg
    64E853665D244BAC844A476A696C1B1C.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 51

druggistnut

Reaction score
Joe,
There was a W.O. Putnam (with a known blob) out of Winchendon, Mass.
If you can get your hands on a Gerald Lincoln Blob Top bottle book, it is #216.
The makers mark is a large M on the bottom.
My other suggestion would be for Putnam, NY.
Bill

timekiller

Reaction score
Found this on your bottle maker.

Putnam Glass Works in a circle
Putnam Flint Glass Works, Putnam, OH, ca. 1852-1871

amblypygi

Reaction score
This seems to indicate the one in Connecticut:

http://books.google.com/books?id=y5ISAAAAYAAJ&lpg=RA4-PA224&ots=lpdF56KogO&dq=%22putnam%20bottling%20works%22&pg=RA4-PA224#v=onepage&q=%22putnam%20bottling%20works%22&f=false

That reference is to a Ginger Ale bottle.

Sean

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hmmm coming from the area I have never seen one. That is the Putnam CT area. I have a few blobs and hutches from here and never seen an aqua one like that. But then again I never seen the list that was provided also. I will check around for it. Nice bottle ! !

morbious_fod

Reaction score
After finding the same thing that Amblypygi found, I decided to take another approach, and that was to find D. C. Parks.

I found information on the Windham County Jail D. (DEWITT) C. Park, Deputy Jailer as of July 10, 1902. The jail was located in the small town of Brooklyn, Connecticut.

Turns our that Putnam was just a few miles up the track from Brooklyn, so it's possible that D. C. Park decided to do something other than Deputy Jailer with his life. I am equally sure that the Putnam Bottling works that Amblypygi found are one and the same. Too many quinkydinks for there not to be a connection. I just found him in the census records, and unfortunately he only shows up in 1900 as Deputy Jailer, but he is living in Putnam not in Brooklyn, Connecticut, so it's even more possible that this is the same cat. I guess it just didn't go anywhere or he died, he was 43 in 1900, because he isn't listed in the 1910, 20, or 30 census.

It turns out that Dewitt C. Park is listed as a Merchant in the 1880 census and the site I'm consulting doesn't seem to have the 1890 census, so maybe he was bottling in connection with this business.

Thanks for your help guys.

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: timekiller

Found this on your bottle maker.

Putnam Glass Works in a circle
Putnam Flint Glass Works, Putnam, OH, ca. 1852-1871
Putnam is actually Zanesville, and that's too early for hutches.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Joseph,

Is there any base embossing, or anything around the heel? Sure is a nice looking Hutch. I like the neckline.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Yes it does. Going strictly from memory it has a very large crude 38 in the center of the bottle with a capital H under that near the edge of the bottom. No maker mark. One thing that it does have is a rounded bump on the opposite side of the shoulder near where the bottle meets the neck of the bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy Collie