Question about an insulator

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deenodean

Reaction score
My buddy Chucky got this one somewhere. It has threads in the upper part. Any info appreciated please.

100_7058.jpg

100_7059.jpg

sparrow75

Reaction score
I'll take a stab, but being a newbee to insulators, I'm likely wrong. So take it with a gain of salt.

Foreign, maybe French? Search eBay for "gingerbread boy"...I think that's what some folks call them.

How about cd640......or somewhere close to that???????

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me/provide more accurate info.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sparrow75

I'll take a stab, but being a newbee to insulators, I'm likely wrong. So take it with a gain of salt.

Foreign, maybe French? Search eBay for "gingerbread boy"...I think that's what some folks call them.

How about cd640......or somewhere close to that???????

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me/provide more accurate info.
Right on the money, French Gingerbread Boy (or something depending on size) but I also don't know the CD of non-USA insulators.

BillinMo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a CD 640 -- Deenodean, can you provide dimensions, and also advise if it has an inner skirt or not?

European insulators, especially French ones, tend to come in "families" where you have the same profile but different sizes. It makes it difficult to tell CDs from a photo. It's a little easier for US and Canadian styles.

The VM logo is for Verreries Masnieres in France. It's pretty cool that you managed to get a French insulator!

deenodean

Reaction score
It was bought at a flea market here in beautiful Cape Breton.
It has an inner skirt.
4" high x 3.5" wide , hole circumference is 2.5 "
Thank u all for your replies...[:)]

BillinMo

Reaction score
Great - that confirms it's definitely a CD 640.

I'm wondering how a French insulator ended up in Cape Breton, though. This gingerbread boy definitely has a story behind it. So far as I know, French insulators were never imported and installed in Canada, but maybe Kyle or the other Canadians can shed some light on that.

Bixel

Reaction score
That style of foreign glass was never used in Canada. I know of a select 1 or 2 European glass pintype insulators used in Canada. I suspect some was brought over by collectors or just interested people, especially an interesting style like that gingerbread man piece.

I myself have found European glass and porcelain pop up at flea markets and in small collectors before. I have a European porcelain piece sitting right in front of me on my desk that came from a small box of insulators that I got from an old women. She said she would have bought them at a flea market or auction probably 30 years ago, so who knows how it ended up in Canada.

deenodean

Reaction score
Yes Kyle , someone probably brought it back from France as a souvenir..nice to know all that info, I'll pass it on to Chucky the owner.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.