Question about digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

squibby17

Reaction score
I have been MD'ing around my home for the first time, and have a question...I recently found an area about 15 feet from the back door..at first I found an old crock pot, some broken glass, square nails etc, then about 6 inches down I hit a layer of ash and coals. Under that I found a 1934 license plate, more glass and nails, etc..well I have gone about 3 feet down, broken through 3 more layers of ash and soot, finding the same items, now I have hit a layer that looks like white chalk about an inch thick...am I onto something? Should I keep going? Why the layers of ash and coal?

TJSJHART

Reaction score
WHITE CHALK ..MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE SEALER FOR THE FULL OUTHOUSE PIT ???? DIG.. DIG DIG

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Sounds very promising, dig until you hit virgin soil or you'll never know what might be there. Be safe though and get another person to help/watch.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The "white chalk" you are seeing could be white ash or it could be slack lime.They used that in privys to keep down the stink.
The new 1938 plate might just be on the top layer and it might be older as you go down. Do you know the only way to find out what this is? DIG!! [:D] it might be a privy. let us know what you find when your down deeper.

Rick

squibby17

Reaction score
Awesome, I'm getting antsy! I recently moved into a home built in the 1790's and have never dug before! I guess I'm curious as to why there are layers of ash? What is the purpose? I dug a little around the edges of the hole today and found some coins...2 are corroded and can't be read at ALL, one was a 43 double eye Jefferson P nickel, and a 2 cent coin? Never knew they existed...really hoping to find some bottles though!!! So far just shards of green, purple and blue glass.....womp womp...

andy volkerts

Reaction score
great luck on digging your backyard!! As for the ash in layers some privy owners would dump a bit of ash into the privy when the odor got bad, it was cheaper than lime and everybody had stove and fireplace ash back then, so it was a good way to get rid of it, and it didnt take up much room in the privy either.......

MrSchulz

IowaBottles
Reaction score
Don't be posting here, drop your computer where you are standing and dig that thing out!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles