question for divers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi all, I was walking around a pong the other day and saw a snapping turtle with about a 2 foot shell. Have you ever stumbled on any mosters in your dives? Not just turtles or nessies but whatever.

barbieheid

Reaction score
Hi all, I was walking around a pong the other day and saw a snapping turtle with about a 2 foot shell. Have you ever stumbled on any mosters in your dives? Not just turtles or nessies but whatever.
[/quote]

A few alligators, but never a Nessie :) During my certification dive, I was so busy trying to pick up fossils that I really didn't pay much mind to why the other divers were gathered around a rock formation. Turns out I missed seeing a large baracuda hiding in there because I was so busy!

amblypygi

Reaction score
I've seen a few heart-stopping snappers, but they're pretty docile under water. Sometime later this year I'm going to be doing some diving off Australia and Papua New Guinea, and my chances of seeing monsters will be significantly better there from what I've heard. A 20-foot tiger shark would make my day. Or not... [:-]

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Eric...

Saw a 12 - 14' Tiger shark when I was stationed in Hawaii... was circled by a Minke whale while working 12 miles offshore cutting net out of the props of a commercial fishing trawler... recovered about a dozen drowning victims (when I was a cop on the U/W search rescue, recovery team) seen plenty of seals underwater, they are really cool and inquisitive... some snappers, but like Sean said they are pretty docile and they really don't want an encounter with something that is five times their size, so they actually try to swim away...

Wayne[&:]

capsoda

Reaction score
Layed out on the beach one time and heard people screaming about a rare white whale that got beached. They stopped trying to role me into the water when I strated yelling at them.[&:]

Hey Sean, Maybe you will discover a new pod of Cealacanths or maybe some other prehistoris critter off Papua.

Spent a few days there in the late 1970s. Hot, muggy, stinky and they had people that wore heads made of mud that whisled and clicked instead of talking and head hunters back then. They told us not to cross the 24" wide white line around the field or we could become someones dinner. Oh yeah, they told us the water was full of dangerous and poisonous critters too. Nice plase other than that.

aussiebottlo

Reaction score
Eric,

the biggest scare I have had is having a big fish attacked my hand while I was diving in zero vis. We have a fish called Murray Cod here that grows to over 100lb and it is very territorial and I was feeling my way around a submerged log when it came out from its hiding place and hit me, my wet suit needed a good clean oout after that.

John

barbieheid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

Layed out on the beach one time and heard people screaming about a rare white whale that got beached. They stopped trying to role me into the water when I strated yelling at them.[&:]

You made me snorf my coffee! Now I have to clean the keyboard, again!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This has been great! I must be getting old to be worried now. When I was a kid I waded swamps and stepped on big a&% turtles all the time. I still got all my toes. Now, while I don’t have the diving equipment, snorkeling sounds like something to do.
I still fear a snapper’s gonna bite my arm off, heck I’ve seem them break a broom handle in half, but I guess I’ll go for it..

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Eric...

As long as you don't have long, broom bristles growing out of your hands and your arms aren't made of wood... what is there to worry about???[&:]

Go for it!!!!

They only like big old fat guys like me and Warren!!!![:'(]

Wayne[&:]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR