Question for ya

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlejunky

Reaction score
hey guys,
I have an old foundation with an 8x4 attatched rectangle, is this the privy. we are new to diggin and everything i read says the privies were behind the house?

Thanks
Bottlejunky

weston

Reaction score
there probally isnt one there, but might be one really close. by the way they arent always behind houses.

thanks, weston in ohio

weston

Reaction score
some are between barns and others are around barns. some are in weird spots too dont know why some people put outhouse in some spots back then. u will have to do some probeing. u might just come out with a hundered or two hundered keepers!! now wouldnt that be awsome. i usually keep all the none broken bottles i find just because i like old bottles, guess im a pack rat. let me know if u find anything. and try and take pics while ur diggin and after u dig i always like to see what others find it encourages me.

thanks, weston in ohio.

aridice53

Reaction score
I think privy placement depended on several factors like the water table, and prevailing winds!![;)]

Char

Penn Digger

Reaction score
If the foundation is very large, like maybe for a rooming house, hotel or really large farm....it could be a privy. Once found a pre-cival war two family farm house in upstate NY with an ancient three seater. Joe the Crow was there.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson