Question on early Lightning jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dygger60

Reaction score
What is the earliest Lightning jars? 1501? 1489? or neither? For the past several months I have been getting different closure jars, nice early examples...which is actually turning out decent. I wanna put something together that represents fruit jar history, not just brilliant colors (which are nice...LOL) or just amber jars.... There were ALOT of "flash in the pan" producers that did some excellent early thinking on what the perfect jar would be....build a better mouse trap right...LOL I have fellow jar folks over, I wanna have something to look at and talk about besides Ball Brothers or a rainbow of Lightning colors, they are nice by all means, but as I said before, there is ALOT to fruit jar history. But ya know what, I don't know what the earliest Lightning jars look like.... David PS...Any collectors that are near the Altamont, NY area...lets talk jars....

coreya

Reaction score
If you look on the lids of the lightning jars you will see several patent dates which go from 1875 to 1882. These patents were for the toggle style closer and were what began the wire bail lids. The jars themselves had putnam on the base and are not a great deal different than later ones. Going back further in time you would have to look at wax sealer type jars and even back to napoleon's time when a man named Nicolas Appert won a prize by the french government (around 1810) for developing a meathod to preserve foods using glass or pottery containers.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
I think David is referring to Redbook numbers 1489 and 1501, not patent dates. Jars embossed simply "Trademark Lightning" are the older ones (1489). "TradeMark Lightning Registered U.S. Patent Office" (1501) are newer - smooth lip & machine made. Tammy

dygger60

Reaction score
Thanks Tammy, that is what I was looking for...and yes, RB numbers.... I would in time like to get a Crowleytown hg to add, but good lord, they be expensive, for me anyways....but have to take the dive, I don't imagine they will be coming down in price in the future..... But thanks all for the comments.... David

jimsears

Reaction score
RB #1500 with the HWP reverse is generally accepted as the earliest Lightning. This variation has mold numbers in the 1 to 7 range, and the mold numbers for the regular #1489's seem to start where these leave off and continue on into the hundreds.

dygger60

Reaction score
Thanks for that knowledge.....ya learn something even after many years....that's what happens when ya limit yourself to one maker...it's a big world out there.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter