Question on privy digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lizard

Reaction score
We are currently relic hunting on a 2-acre site in east Texas that dates to about the 1850’s that had two old farmhouses on it. Eventually we should find one or more privies and some dumpsites somewhere on the property. The dumpsites won’t be a problem but none of us have ever worked a privy before.

I have a couple of dumb questions to ask;

Are there any health risks in digging composted s—t that we need to be concerned with?
In an unlined pit, at what depth should we start thinking about a possible cave in and how to prevent it?[/ol]

Any input from the experts will be greatly welcomed. Thanks, Rick

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
I think the airborne ash is what you should worry about inhaling...the poo is gone

cadburys

Reaction score
about the pit being lined... It all depends on the soil type, if it is dry and very sandy you don't want to go in above your chest and never dig alone either. Ultimately you will have to make the call on whether or not you keep going, if you do, you could sure up the sides with 2x4's and some plywood to prevent a cave in. Oh! and just because the pit IS lined it doesn't mean it won't cave in, even in brickliners the walls can easily become unstable over 160 years... so as you go down you will have to asses the structural integrity.

If the buildings have gone 2 acres might prove the privies difficult to find. I'd be interested to hear how you have done.

http://privydigging.com

lizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Both houses burned long ago. The first about 1900-1910 and the second about the 1960-1970 era. There is a new house on front of the property that was built around 1975 so the property has been occupied regularly for some time. Still talking to the old timers and researching the library to try and find all the details we can.

We are working a grid starting at the new house and will work toward the back where the older houses were and hope for the best. We hope metal in the dumpsites will give them away and hope to find some information on where the privies and maybe a well are hidden.

Just started this a few weeks ago and have only covered the front and east side of the new house so far so it’s going to be awhile before we get to the back. The few relics found so far date back to around the 30’s maybe. Mostly junk iron but it shows the land was occupied at least. I will definitely post anything of interest as we go along.

the ham man

Reaction score
from what I have heard most privies were not very far from the house at all. I know I'd sure not want to be taking a long walk every time I had to s**t. so that would minimize your search for the privies if you could find out where the houses used to be. then all you have to do is probe the heck out of the land near the houses. hope this helps~joey~

lizard

Reaction score
Thanks Joey, at this point we can use all the help we can get in regards to bottles. We don’t have much experience with them and need to get educated on the subject.

Rick

Baydog51

Reaction score
I'm in E Tex also. I think you will have better luck metal detecting for the trash dump area. Around here the outhouses were generally shallow pits and were not used for trash like they were up north, especially in rural areas. The outhouses were pretty strictly used for their original purpose and the trash were thrown in a nearby low spot, gully, or fence line. The dumps generally weren't even covered so if anything is left, it should be pretty easy to find.

lizard

Reaction score
That’s not good news! lol We have walked the property and haven’t found anything on the surface to indicate a dump. Since folks have been living here for most of the time frame I hope they just buried the trash and went on about their business.

That’s interesting about the privies though. I didn’t think these poor folks here would have brick or timber lined pits but didn’t know about the depth. I figured they would make them as deep as they could safely dig maybe and still toss stuff into them. Oh well, I learn something new every day.

Any more tidbits of information you have like that would be welcomed.
Rick

Chuck1188

Reaction score
Hey lizard,
I am in east texas as well. I would love to meet up sometime and help you out on this privy dig expedition. I have 2 or 3 privys lined up in Tyler that I need to get permission for. Let me know

lizard

Reaction score
I’m only a couple of hundred miles south of you so it could happen. Right now my job will limit me on available time for another 6 to 12 months so I won’t be doing much digging anytime soon. Right now I’m lucky to get 5 or 6 hours a week on this hunt.

When my time frees up some I will get with you and see if we can work something out.
Rick

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles