Rocky Terrain Privy Digging Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

webe992

Reaction score
I recently got permission to dig on a new lot and had the opportunity to go dig it on Friday. I had an old Sanborn Map that showed where the well, windmill, and privies used to be. (The well and windmill are still standing) After digging where the privies were indicated on the maps I was bummed to find out that once you dug down 1-2 feet you'd hit rockbed. In the area I'm digging, the terrain is very rocky so this isn't uncommon. This is the 2nd town I've dug in where I've dug in spots where privies were indicated on the Sanborn Maps but came out empty handed due to the depth I was able to dig. My Question for those who dig in similar conditions, were above ground privies common in these areas due to the difficulty in digging down into the ground? I love to know your thoughts.

yacorie

Reaction score
You sure it’s bedrock and not a capstone? Wonder how they dug the well I’d it’s really all bedrock. Depth to bedrock of 1-2 feet would seem like they were digging in an area where you’d see exposed bedrock all over

webe992

Reaction score
You sure it’s bedrock and not a capstone? Wonder how they dug the well I’d it’s really all bedrock. Depth to bedrock of 1-2 feet would seem like they were digging in an area where you’d see exposed bedrock all over
I’d love to know the answer to that too. I’m pretty sure it is bedrock because I was able to dig down to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac