Questions answered about the ACL book

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thesodafizz

Reaction score
I have spoken with the book committee and hope I can answer some of the questions I have been getting in the past weeks so everyone gets the same answer at the same time. Here goes:

The one I've had most has been the question of credit for contributions. Having done both magazines for over 5 years now, something I have consistantly heard from people is about credit. I have heard many times of people contributing something to someone's book, be it information, photos or something else - and then the book going to print without even a mention of it. That's not fair and it's not how we are doing it.

So, what we have discussed is:
1) Photos - All photos will be credited to the contributor. There is room in the info section for each bottle to make a column for contributor. Being the bottles are numbered, to avoid confusion with numbering, we have decided to assign each contributor a letter, beginning with A and gonig thru Z. If there are more than 26 contributors, we'll begin again with AA, BB, etc. until every contributor has been listed with whatever contact information they want used (such as address or location, phone number, email address, website, etc.). This is for photos.

2) Information - Information will be credited either with the information itself, in the acknowledgements, as reference, or whatever way it would be best to identify the source of the particular information provided. But it will be specifically identified. For example, I provided, for the last editon of Sweeney's ACL book, the section on bottling histories, however, I am listed on one of the first pages of the book as "Contributing Editor" or something such, not as what I specifically contributed. I believe, from having done the magagzines and dealt with numerous authors, that credit for information should be more specific. That way, anyone who may have questions or additionial information to add knows who to contact with it. It is also a way to provide feedback for your information as well as identify the source for credibility.

3) Anything else - proper credit will be given for whatever is contributed. It is not my intention to leave anyone out.

I have on hand over 500 photos at this time. It is to my understanding that Marc McClendon has compiled about the same amount of photos, with their information as well. We plan to get together with the full list and decide the top bottles we have on hand to illustrate. Then after that number is determined, add in the rest until we have 860, which is the number that will fill the color pages I've been quoted. The "more common" bottles will be listed (to keep the info section matched with the photos, but not necessarily photo'd. (If the "more common" bottles are not at least listed, then how would they not be known as such.)

As it has been already mentioned, the entire bottle will be illustrated, not just the label. This is good because many bottles have neck labels that are also interesting, specialty shapes or embossing that having just the label leaves out. Quarts, as well as some seltzer bottles and Canadian bottles, will also be included and identified as such in the info.

Additonal comments regarding bottles contributed is also welcome. It can be used to enhance the info in the book, used during the book's presentation / seminar, etc. Again, credit will be given.

Any other questions, please do ask them and I'll do my best to answer, or find out if I don't know.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747