QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My eyes are "popped" out from scrolling through some of the 9,930 current Popeye listings on e-bay. Although I did find the "fantasy/reproduction" sign shown below. But is it the image of a real Popeye Soda bottle, or what? It even indicates the various flavors it came in. I also looked through a ton of old Popeye magazine ads, but found nothing whatsoever related to soda pop. (At least not the real deal). I may have to give up ... or at least until I can find some spinach to boost my energy. Lol [:D]

762A5D3852E646FA9F1AFE7540CDCAAC.jpg

Attachments

• 762A5D3852E646FA9F1AFE7540CDCAAC.jpg
    762A5D3852E646FA9F1AFE7540CDCAAC.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 103

fishnuts

Reaction score
omg...look at that bottle will you.
That sucker is screened in red, yellow, orange, purple, white, flesh tone, brown and black.
Seven colors. Seven colors? rofl A screen printers nightmare! On a cylindrical object?
That alone should be enough evidence that there is no Popeye Punch as this faux-retro sign shows.

celerycola

Reaction score
Here's a train load of those seven color acl's.

6983B81C054546889A6E3FE35C471EA4.jpg

Attachments

• 6983B81C054546889A6E3FE35C471EA4.jpg
    6983B81C054546889A6E3FE35C471EA4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 99

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I found this regarding an edition of the Soda Fizz magazine from April of 2005. Look in the "At The Auction" category and you will see a listing for a Popeye bottle. Surely it's the real deal as I don't think this organization messes around with imaginary bottles. Perhaps someone who is personally familar with the Soda Fizz folks could send them an inquiry and see what they have to say.

SPBOB

The Soda Fizz ~ March/April 2005 ~ Vol. 3, No. 2
From the Publisher
Member Network
Letters to the Editor, and more..
From "Chero Mike"
Studebaker Coca-Cola bottle from 1983 on eBay, Jackson, Miss. Show Report
Baltimore Show Report
Looking Back At Barq's Bottles
By Bill Lockhart, Alamogordo, N.M.
Go-Withs
Book Review - Makers & Their Marks by Julian Toulouse
By Mike Elling, Sharon, Tenn.
At the Auction
Mug Old Fashioned Root Beer, Black Kow, Seven-Up, Country Boy, Blue Bird, Popeye, Coca-
Cola, Meyer's Quality Bev., Nehi, Evervess, Mountain Dew, Beehive Bev., White Rose, Koca-
Nola, High Hat
Quarts
By Fred Arwood
Photographing Bottles
By Charles Harris, Ooltewah, Tenn.
Classified Ads
Show Calendar

fishnuts

Reaction score
Seriously SPBob?
That's a photo of a model train car and trailer.

The two bottles on the two fake signs are not even the same design. So there must be two!? rofl

Doe the auction article allude to the bottle or the crown at auction?
Somebody show us a photo of the Popeye Punch! Or the Popeye Drink! Or any such thing.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
fishnuts ~

As for the article itself, and whether it is referring to the crown cap or the bottle I cannot say. I just copy/pasted that info from the internet. Perhaps someone has a copy of the actual magazine and can answer your question.

Regarding your other comments ...

1. I agree the toy train (that celerycola posted) is a repro/fantasy item.
2. I agree with the "possibility" of there being two different bottles. But at the moment I would settle
for the photo of just one. (If one even exist ... which I believe it does. But I could be wrong). ???

Thanks,

SPBOB

fishnuts

Reaction score
Well, crud then.
I just moved last October. I kept the membership issues of Soda Fizz, but threw most of them out rather than moving them. I did excise and keep all the articles i wanted, good photos but not the newsy bits or much of the historical and certainly not the advertising or auction results.. We could have solved the article question easily.
No, probably not, because most of that collectors books and identifying guides are still packed up in the barn...i would not know where to look, or couldn't get to them thru the piles.

thesodafizz

Reaction score

I have lost all the electronic copies of each magazine I did, but have most of them as actual printed magazines. So, I went to the issue mentioned and found:

The At the Auction Popeye item is a crowncap that ended for $162.50. It is different than the one posted, with a sailboat instead of the likeness of Popeye. I only have the b/w image that appeared in the auction, but it is better than nothing.

K

4B05C43927A74DEC8C0E8C4FE3B7AD91.jpg

Attachments

• 4B05C43927A74DEC8C0E8C4FE3B7AD91.jpg
    4B05C43927A74DEC8C0E8C4FE3B7AD91.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 104

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
K ~

Wow! Thank you so much for that. Now if someone can just find a photo of the bottle itself the world will be complete. It's like bottleaddict said earlier, "if the cap sold for that much, just think what a bottle would go for?" We're probably talking in the $500.00+ range. I'd eat all of my spinach and go back for seconds for a shot at one of them thar bottles. [:)]

SPBOB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen