RABCA Show & Sale OCT. 7 2006 - Richmond, Va.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
RE: My Demijohns on display - RABCA Show & Sale OCT. 7 2006 - Richmond, Va.

The talk of the show was: A dealer set-up next to me later in the show. I was out and about, but my wife was watching the table. She saw a bottle she liked, picked it up and put it back down. This was sitting (almost) against my bottles. The bottle was not priced. She had to wait patiently to ask the dealer next to us what the price was, because he was talking to someone. Before she could ask, another buyer picked it up and asked 'how much'. He said, 'I don't know, how about ten bucks?' The buyer gave him twenty dollars and said, 'Keep the change, it's a good bottle'

The dealer then told my wife that he thought that he messed up. To make a long story shorter.... It turned out to be an ear of corn, amber National Bitters. The buyer walked around the show w/ it under his arm smiling from ear to ear (every time I saw him). Wouldn't you??? [:D]

PS - The dealer picked it up at a yard sale for $1 and thought that it was a repro. There isn't a real repro of this bottle - as far as I know.

annie44

Reaction score
Wow - Your demijohn display is absolutely fantastic!! Lots of different shapes, sizes, and colors, and all sparkling clean! Are the demijohns part of your private collection, or are some of them for sale? Front row, far right - is that smooth base, or open pontil?

I look forward to getting the info. on the newsletter.
Thanks! Cindy

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
My Demijohns on display - RABCA Show & Sale OCT. 7 2006 - Richmond, Va.

Thanks Cindy -

The taller demi on the front right is a free blown cylinder, dark olive amber, 18.5" tall, pontil scarred and loaded w/ bubbles. It's probably Stoddard and I picked it up as soon as it came through the door at our show last year. [:)]

These are not for sale. Just something I started collecting (among other catagories)about two years ago. [:D]

I got your last email and I'm glad you liked the samples. I'll get you on the mailing list as soon as Marvin notifies me.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Nice display Meech !
I have a few Demi's myself..... I have always liked Demijohns . But , they require a lot of space .
Thanks for sharing ! Brian

Flaschenjager

Reaction score

Thanks Brian and Warren. It took a lot of time and work.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi meech, congradulation on your ribbon. super bottles and nice display. what is the amber bottle , 3rd from left, bottom. does it have any markings on it? how tall is it? again great bottles, rhona

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Rhona - Thanks for the kind words. I got (ONLY) three ribbons for that display [:D] [:D] [:D]

The tag for the demi mentioned read like this: Cylinder form - Medium amber, Smooth base - Wicker removed, Blown in a two piece mold, 15" tall, American, C. late 1800s

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi meech, thanks for the information. besides size, i notice most have the same lip style and a longer neck. is this what clasifies it as a demijohn? i have a 13 1/2" tall bottle, but the neck is shorter and lip is diff. it is bim. it has the # 888 large on base. pic below i hope , thanks again, rhona

9AF1F23FFD1D42A3AE47B97F88E1EA0A.jpg

Attachments

• 9AF1F23FFD1D42A3AE47B97F88E1EA0A.jpg
    9AF1F23FFD1D42A3AE47B97F88E1EA0A.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 80

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Your amber bottle looks like a utility for chemicals or pharmaceuticals. Not what I would classify as a demijohn. Demijohns mostly seem to have tapered lips but other types can be found, double ring lips for example.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward