RARE 10 GALLON OWENS ILLINOIS GLASS BOTTLE 1935??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tonye80919

Reaction score
Hi, I found what I think is a 10 gallon owens Illinois bottle from 1935. The bottom is marked with the I and O inside a diamond on the bottom of the bottle. The only other marks are 1935 and 10 on the bottom of the bottle. As I said before, I am assuming the 1935 is the year and the 10 stands for 10 gallon. The bottle also has a green/blue tint to it just like the old glass mason jars. I have searched all over the internet to try and find a similar bottle and figure out what its value and rarity is. Was also hoping to find out what it was used for. The only thing I found that was remotely close was some 5 gallon bottles. Since I cant find any other bottle like it on the internet, I am hoping what I have is rare and hopefully somewhat valuable. I will post some pictures when I get home tomorrow, but if anyone has information on the bottle, please let me know!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Would be good to have a photo. Sounds like a 5 gallon spring water bottle...would be surprised if it is a 10 gallon bottle but you never know.

tonye80919

Reaction score
I will post photos once I get home from work. Also going to measure the size. Thanks

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So I have a ten gallon demi, clear glass with an applied glass finish and a large punty attachment mark on the bottom. With no identity making. I also have about twenty large advertizing bottles with large labels made to set in liquor store windows to attract wives on the idea of buying some for their husband. I worked with two OI plants that made these big ones on an Italian three stage bottle making machine in their plants. There were also some big perfumes, Coca Cola and other big bottles made for advertisement only. I guess they must have helped. I have to have space to keep them, and my daughter doesn't like the idea of shipping them if we put them on eBay. I guess they are for sale if anyone wants some big ones. Let me know. RED Matthews

sunrunner

Reaction score
I will also assume it is a spring water bottle witch may have been put into a dispenser . With just the Owens mark on it , it would not be worth to much 5 or 10 dollars if your lucky.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well if it holds 10 gallons and has an applied finish that was tooled, and some formation of a punty rod application on the bottom center - I would like to have an opportunity to purchase it. To me the value would be at least 50 bucks. It would have to be worth some study. So let me know what you can determine about it. It would cost too much to ship it - so please let me know where it is - so I can figure out how access-able picking it up - is. RED Matthews, email <bottlemysrteries@yahoo.com>

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So Anth0ny, I went to your registration and didn't learn much. I guess you into investing to make extra bread. If you check out my homepage you will know that I am just dedicated to things made out of glass and how they were made. Please email me regarding what you have found and a picture will be helpful. RED M.

sunrunner

Reaction score
hay Red he said it's a Owen Illinois bottle , so I would guess it's machine made.

tonye80919

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Sorry it took so long to get the photos up. The bottle does have a greenish tint to it but its kind of hard to see in the photos. I took pictures up next to a mason jar so you can get an idea of the size. I forgot to mention one number on the bottom of the bottle before. Its marked with the O I Diamond, the number 10 under that, then a few inches below that its marked with the number 1 and a 1935 below the 1. Hope these photos turn out ok and thanks for any info or offers!
DSC02229_zps63c5e7c4.jpg
DSC02230_zps5b6fb775.jpg
DSC02231_zps0a68182f.jpg
DSC02232_zpsdf291187.jpg
DSC02234_zps0ef13ba0.jpg
DSC02235_zps076996e9.jpg
DSC02236_zps29361842.jpg
DSC02238_zps09c49bd5.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
That is a standard 5 gallon spring water bottle. 1935 is likely the date this one was made. Great to put your pennies in or use as a water bottle...these still fit many of the modern spring water dispensers. These unmarked ones typically run $5-$10.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause