Rare med

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
"THE BOTTLE IS DUG BUT IF I DIDN'T KNOW I THAT I WOULD THINK ITS A ATTIC FIND"

Now, either this guy's not really up on bottle terminology, or he's just a liar. This bottle is very clearly not mint, and I cannot believe he would think it is. The sickness is very visible... That said, if it's as rare as he says, I'm not surprised it's going for so much. As shown with that NC saloon flask, Southern collectors can be rabid.

AB5A57D570A246279CD4C33811C2471D.jpg

Attachments

• AB5A57D570A246279CD4C33811C2471D.jpg
    AB5A57D570A246279CD4C33811C2471D.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 81

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Looks like a tough one. Like Matt said a pic of the base would be nice to see.

~Tim

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Sorry but I think your way harsh, I dont see the word 'mint' anywheres on the page. I think he's referring to the fact there is "...NO CHIPS, CRACKS OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE.. THERE IS NOT A NICK ANYWHERE.." as his basis for an attic find. I would have included "..light staining.." or something along those lines myself, but there are atleast pretty good pics of it.

I see many listings, ebay, (even some of mine, lol) & the auction houses that say.."some light spotty staining here or there, otherwise mint" or similar wording. Seems to be acceptable terminology to most.

It is a sweet bottle tho aint it? I imagine more than one 'yankee' is foaming at the mouth as well!~ [:D]

Al

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Terms like "attic find" and "mint" should be used quite sparingly, otherwise they lose their meaning. "attic mint" should mean the example can't possibly be improved upon in any way; this bottle clearly could be. A bottle that sick can't be mint, and it certainly doesn't look "attic" mint. I've dug mint bottles, but they aren't sick like that. I'm not detracting from the bottle in any way, I'd be more than happy with one so rare in decent condition like that. But I think saying it's "like an attic find" is not only wrong, it's a purposeful effort to minimize the bottle's problems. Anyone trusting the seller's description will be sorely disappointed when they see the bottle in person, which is a situation that shouldn't occur.

carobran

Reaction score

div2roty

Reaction score
That said, if it's as rare as he says, I'm not surprised it's going for so much. As shown with that NC saloon flask, Southern collectors can be rabid

Yes, southern collectors are tougher, but it also helps to be from smaller states, like Delaware, where lots of collectors attempt to do the whole state, which can create more competition. Larger states (NY PA NJ) probably do not have that many state-wide collectors.

Its still supply and demand, and while I understand why certain things sell for so much money, i would still rather have colored figural bitters.

Also it is good to know that all my delaware hutches are attic finds too.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide