Rare? pontiled St Louis ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That Montagues is a really good bottle.
I have never recorded one being sold.
It seems to have been made by Sellers & Shinn in Pittsburgh in the mid 1830s.
Not positive if they were actually the manfs. or just the resellers.
It has a very early form with the serif embossing and flat panels.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hey there Cannabil thanks for the post, really nice dig. I know you dont want to sound spoiled and say you wish you did better, but after all that work, and to be in a pocket of such old stuff, you really could have hauled in some serious stuff. Looks like it goes back real early, and you found some embossed stuff too, so...
I wonder if the ink was broken by the user when they opened it. I've never dug even a shard of an embossed umbrella, that one is sweet.

Continued good luck

botlguy

Reaction score
The R.B. SNOW ink is listed in the Watt White auction as lot #219, dug condition with staining but undamaged, described as "Extremely Rare, perhaps unique" and sold for $250. I'd say you did great with that one.

That Montague's has AWESOME patina, I really like that kind of stuff.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
The soda, what on the soda! CFH, you are one fortunate guy. I really "dig" what you have found underground.

Scott

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies and info....the soda is an iron pontil Grone & Durhold/ Quincy Ill., a fairly common find around here. They had a secondary factory here in Hannibal they built in the late 50's and I believe they used the same bottles from their Quincy factory, as I have never dug or seen one embossed from Hannibal. Grone moved on in the early 60's to St. Louis and Durhold sold his Hannibal factory to David Kleindienst around that same time. The pharmacy bottle missing his top is a Henry Webster who is somewhat of an anomaly, as he is first listed as boarding at a local pharmacy in the 1885-86 directory, no surviving directory for '87, and disappears altogether in '88. Odd, since his bottles are not too uncommon and I have dug 4 different sizes, including the broken one shown here. I figure the bottles are likely from 1886-87 and like the St. Jacobs Oel that came from the same spot in the top fill are close to that era. everything else came from the 7-10 foot depths after chiseling my way through 5' of solid hard clay fill. If it weren't lined with brick or stone, I would have mistakenly quit, thinking I surely had hit bottom, it was that solid! That's why I'm grumbling so much, as it was back breaking digging this by myself, as I can't get anyone interested enough to dig with.....so sad. Boo-Hoo. Anyone feeling sorry for me yet? No? Darn it! HA! Jack.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I get no chances to dig privies so you are going to have to lose an arm or left before I feel sorry for you :)

dang auto correct is horrible. I need to learn how to type perfect.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
What's funny is my mind did an auto/auto correct and read it the way you intended! Didn't even notice until your last comment! HA! Jack

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583