RC Cola!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm attempting to narrow down what year(s) the debossed pyramids were used. The following is also by dbv1919/Brad and is a copy/pasted portion of his statement from Page 2 - Post #24 of the May 2014 thread ... "judo that's a 1937, Iblackvelvet I think bottlingco is dead on the money. Just from what I have observed the 36's and 37's have the really large RC in the acl and debossed necks with full or partial pyramid and star. The 38's have a smaller RC in the acl and embossed partial pyramid neck."

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. If I'm not mistaken (and will do some double-checking to be sure) I believe the 1 through 6 bottles ... 1. All have the debossed pyramids2. All are non acls* *I can't recall - some might be acls or so called "ghost" acls

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy Since this is your thread, I thought you might be interested in helping me out by going through both of the original threads and taking notes on every one of the bottles that have the numbers 1 through 6 embossed on the base. We need to determine ... 1. If they are debossed or embossed? 2. If they are acls or non-acls? 3. Anything else that might apply to them. We'll compare notes later and see what each of us come up with. Here are the links again ... dbv1919 ~ Started in May of 2014
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Oldest-ACL-Royal-Crown-Cola-Bottle-m650674.aspx

morbious_fod ~ Started in October of 2014
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Earliest-ACL-Royal-Crown-Cola-redux-m663404.aspx Thanks Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. iggy 4. If they are clear or aqua? Please note which numbers apply to which bottles. For example ... Bottle with a #4 = Clear Glass / Debossed Pyramid / Non Acl

iggyworf

Reaction score
OK had some work today but I just went thru all the threads again . Morb's thread discusses only Glenshaw glass mark's. It's in dvb1919's thread where LGW(Laurens Glass Works) are talked about. This is what I've found so far. Hope I got this right[:eek:]lol LGW Color ACL Company Ounce Pyramid DE or EM
#1(my bottle) aqua no Nehi 12 point DE
#2(Bob's) clear no Nehi 12 point DE
#3 ? ? ? ? ? ?
#4 ? ? ? ? ? ?
#5 clear yes Nehi ? point DE
#6(Brad) clear yes Nehi 12 point DEDE = debossed EM = embossed

iggyworf

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy Thanks for the great chart. I found the same results as you did when I scrolled through the original thread. Some of the descriptions lacked specific details, which account for your use of the question marks, but in most if not all of those instances I think it is safe to assume there was a consistency. For example; I'd say its safe to assume all of the bottles are 12 ounce and that all of them have pointed, debossed pyramids. I also think it is safe to assume all of the bottles are marked Nehi. As for the ACL aspect, notice the lower numbers are not acls but the higher numbers are acls. Also notice that your bottle appears to be the only one that is aqua. Without examining dozens of similar bottles we may never be able to fill in all of the blanks with absolute certainty, but based on what we do know, which I call common denominators, I honestly believe it is safe to assume that all of the LGW 1 through 6 bottles ... 1. Are 12 ounce2. Are marked Nehi3. Have debossed, pointed pyramids Plus, it appears to me that ... 4. For some reason the first (No. 1) bottle was aqua5. All of the other bottles are clear6. The lower number bottles are non acls and had paper labels7. The higher number bottles are acls In conjunction with this, on Page 4, Post #80 of Brad's original thread there is a picture of and brief discussion about a Dr Pepper bottle marked with LGW and a solo number 5. But what is most interesting about the Dr Pepper bottle is that it's "clear glass" and "debossed." You can justly accuse me of jumping to conclusions if you wish, but at the moment I refuse to believe its a coincidence the LGW 5 Dr Pepper bottle and the LGW 1 through 6 RC bottles are all "debossed" if not for a specific reason. Hence, I am currently of the opinion ... The LGW 1 through 6 bottles were experimental prototypes involving the introduction of Royal Crown Cola's first 12 ounce bottles in 1935 to test not only the style of bottle but especially to test the strength of a bottle with a debossed trademark symbol on the shoulder. I'm also of the opinion the test bottles failed and that this is the reason why they switched to embossed bottles instead of the weaker debossed bottles.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As for the dates ... It appears to me the test period for the experimental bottles started in 1935 with paper labels and concluded in 1936 with painted, acl labels.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy Only with time and more research will we know for certain, but I'm thinking ... Your aqua LGW 1 bottle is the rarest of the lot!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. Even though I truly believe the LGW 1 through 6 bottles were experimental prototypes, I can't help but wonder why they used multiple numbers and not just a single number? Part of the answer might involve some of the bottles having paper labels and some being acls, but there might be more to it such as the different molten glass formulas I touched on earlier. I plan to look into this and see if I can come up with anything.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause