Re-posting a question about my odd bottle..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope the summer has been good to you.

I have this 3" tall x 1-1/4" round clear BIM bottle here, with a thin tooled "patent med" type top, but the mouth is maybe 3/4" wide...

It is Embossed in a circle as follows:

Carl L. Jensen
Crystal Pepsin
Philadelphia

And in the center is a "trade mark" symbol that absolutely stumped my sorry a$$ for years now until I decided I was going to figure it out...and by golly, I did a few days ago!

It has a pig's head with a snake in it's mouth as the trade mark! You can see the eye of the pig, the mouth, the nose, the snake's body, and the tongue of the snake quite clearly if you know what you're looking for.

Nothing on the base..

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Oldtimer

Reaction score
OK, this is another one of those "It's either common as a new penny ..or... no one has ever heard of it" things...

Which is it, I can take it!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont remember seeing one before but I can tell you that around the turn of the century there were a boat load of pepsin type stomach medicines. Even the rare ones dont seem to excite collectors much. The Jensen family may have an interest in it though[;)] Can you post a photo?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Carl L. Jensen
Crystal Pepsin
Philadelphia

Here is an 1886 ad for it so it may of been one the earlier ones...
http://books.google.com/books?id=XahxAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA2-PR23&lpg=RA2-PR23&dq=%22Carl+L.+Jensen%22+pepsin&source=bl&ots=4PbJReb9Dk&sig=9a7MT1ooNCSoXHFJq1vbyKkvvlg&hl=en&ei=z81wSqy4O4LKtgfYneCXDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

Whatever you do , dont look at the ad above that one... remember I warned you[;)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Here is an 1895 ad ten years later...
http://books.google.com/books?id=B-eUC4DouqAC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=%22Carl+L.+Jensen%22+pepsin&source=bl&ots=YCY9VGKTah&sig=Zv5DxiGHJqNCs-p-qQ_C77UB2i4&hl=en&ei=z81wSqy4O4LKtgfYneCXDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Thanks Matt, I googled it a few years ago and never found anything.
I am surprised no one has seen one of these though...

And reading the "medical" journals of those days is enough to make a man shudder! Funny how even the average 10 year old knows more than they did then!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles