Ready to give up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Heres some maps by the USGS 1887. Look for old access roads and stuff.
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/MarthasVineyard.htm

tigue710

Reaction score
Marthas vineyard is a tough place to dig... I know a few guys who used to dig out there, and they had a TOUGH time. They told me the best dumps were along the water though, look for inlets and wet land type areas, and probe them along the edges. Check the ponds too...

Google earth is the best for satellite images with the birds eye view which lets you look at areas with out having to walk through them.

Personally I would take the ferry to the main land. New Bedford has some good toc dumps. You can shoot over and dig some bottles, and still look around the vineyard when you have time...

bottlediger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

it takes time, as with anything. You have to do the work. Keep at it and you'll find something. Or call it quits if you dont want to. None of us find magic bottle holes, we put hours upon hours of work and research into digging a few lonely bottles, and then half time we dont find anything good. Some go years with out a good find. Its more about enjoying what you learn along the way then bottles... all though bottles are the ultimate goal...

Talk to that old timer more, have him show how and what to look for, how to dig. I've seen people dig holes all over the place and miss all the bottles completely. You need experience and a little help if you can find it!

very well said Tique

Digger Ry

KentOhio

Reaction score
I asked her where she dumped garbage in the 40's. About 1/4 mile down was where they dumped in the 1890's.
[/quote]

1/4 mile down, that's a lot of digging! I hope you found something way down there!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

vo-cab-u-whatsis??? i'm not shure I no's wut yur sayin. wut's wit al dem fancee wurds. dat dares a long massage. startid thinkin bout mi foots fun gus bout afta the thurd sentunce. and pleez stop tiepin so fast eye'm havin a herd tyme keypin up.

thayks. ricky.

Your wit astounds me.

huh-larious.

Seriously though, i have nothing against you and don't want to find anything that revises my current opinion, I am here for the learning and to help add to it, just like many other folk here. My preferred style of communication is a bit tedious to some of the people I know, so it should follow that the same holds true here. You don't need to feign idiocy in order to illustrate your point... whatever it might be.

Tigue is spot on with his suggestion to check along the water. Is it possible to take some time to walk the entire perimeter of the island? I suppose islands have different refuse disposal guidelines than inland places, and when I visited Smith Island and Chincoteague Island years ago, the rummage shop owners said that they found alot of bottles in/near shallow saltwater coves, and around old foundations. I have no personal experience in that kind of environment though.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Stephen, Welcome to the forum. When I was your age I was full of piss and vinegar and wanted to know everything and i went out and started learning on my own. You see, back then everyone didn't go to college because their parents couldn't aford it so the rest of use had to do it own our own.

Vocabulary and intelegence is a great thing but hasn't helped me find a single bottle but preserveriance and common sense have. It doesn't take alot to read your long post but many of our diggers work for a living and want to dig every minute they are not so they will read your first or second post and them pass them buy unless you load each one with information that is pertanant to every digger. We do have members on theis forum that do normally write long posts but they come on once in a while to give us some really great information. Shorter and sweater and to the point is great and when necessary long is good.

The greatest digger I ever meet had no formal education and thought that for a southern boy I said the durndest thangs. Education is great when ysed for the good of all.

You will find some of the best digging advise and info in the world on this forum and probably a millenium worth of combined experance. You will also find that they are great people. We have our quirks and you have to watch out for som like that Lobeycat. He is a sneaky critter and then there is ME cause I will crack on when I can!!!.

And Victoria (I Love That Name) as a bottle digger you should never give up. Just go at it from a new angle. These guys will help you out.[;)]

mikmis

Reaction score
i think you write verry well plumbata and often have a hard time getting my point across clearly.your post may be verry long but are verry informitive.keep up the good work .
what you said about the no tresspassing signs .i can't tell you how important it is to get permission from the owner .only from personal experiance you risk the chance of loosing the privlage of being able to dig your favorite or best diging site.i have one that i truly regret. i have been banished from for not getting permission and my buddy has free reign to dig there because he asked .the only thing i have left is i know where the pontiled pit is and ill take it to my grave .[:)][:)]

tigue710

Reaction score
har, being a know it all I dont care much for other know it alls, especially when they havnt been doing anything long enough to know what to know it all about! I know that for certain.

Keep at it you will find bottles... sometimes they are deep

217_1787.jpg

other times right on the surface...

IMG_3416.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747