Real or Repro ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crozet86

Reaction score
Well today was snowed in as im sure alot of people here were,i decided to go thru some boxed bottle.Well came upon this 8 sided ink.I know nothing about inks but this one has me wondering if it is a repro.The glass on the outside has like a swirled texture to it and is crude but ill see what you all think.The top should be a shear top i would think.Hopefully you all can give me some insight.Thanks in advance.

169E1162680D4A1B97AC9E44A56A356D.jpg

Attachments

• 169E1162680D4A1B97AC9E44A56A356D.jpg
    169E1162680D4A1B97AC9E44A56A356D.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 65

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dunno, it kinda looks like a Victorian English ink to me. Great color if it is an original, but probably not too rare. Hopefully an ink collector can provide some better info.

ombudsman

Reaction score
Looks good to me. My wife, who collects inks, would love it. I'm not sure why such a modest bottle as an ink like that would be reproduced.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ombudsman

Looks good to me. My wife, who collects inks, would love it. I'm not sure why such a modest bottle as an ink like that would be reproduced.

Well, Wheaton made the schoolhouse inks, the umbrellas, and the Carter's. I think theirs another one too that I can't remember. Not sure if that one is modern or not but I've seen that circular "swirl" before, and always on modern pieces. I could be wrong, but my vote is it's modern (1960s+), although the lip does look awfully authentic.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The civil war reinactors groups have suppliers that make modern replicas of stuff like ink bottles. Very realistic looking but just a bit "off". Hence the reason that something like an ink would be reproduced.

I can't say for sure on this one, but it doesn't look right to me. As an ink collector, I'd probably stay away from it. The lip doesn't look right for the bottle and the only ones of those 8 sided inks that I have seen are pontiled. That form faded pretty fast after the demise of the pontil era.

Jim G

ombudsman

Reaction score
This place is such a great resource. So many of you are so much more knowledgeable than I. I'm glad I discovered the forum. It also is friendlier than some of the forums I frequent.

Thanks, all.

Dave

crozet86

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.I kinda thought the top looked suspicious but thought id ask more knowledgeable collectors.I still like the color and probably keep it as a sun tanner in the window.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583