Regarding Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ratbastard

Reaction score
is the any way to contact a winning bidder after an auction ends ? Was watching a bottle and i know it had a phony label glued on it and the buyer got ripped off. i pointed out the fact to the seller the first day and i was asked what should should be done about the label and i told the seller to point it out in the description and it never happened so i reported it to ebay twice nothing happened. i hate to see buyers get ripped off

epackage

Reaction score
Yes there is, as long as one of the two leaves feedback for the other...

Lordbud

Reaction score
No reason to inform someone of a fake after they've bid and won. Buyer beware is the rule. If someone has internet access, they can and should research any item they have doubts about. I've been buying bottles and small antique advert items for over 30 years and I've always relied on my own judgement, knowledge and experience.

georgeoj

Reaction score
In most cases, you are wasting your time in reporting anything to ebay. The only concern that they have is getting the seller fees.

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

No reason to inform someone of a fake after they've bid and won. Buyer beware is the rule.

Problem is that most people out there are of average or below average intellect. Sure, they should do their homework, but many sellers use tricky language and deceptive practices which are quite convincing to the uneducated. Most people are trusting, and in a good world they wouldn't get screwed because of it.

Hell, a great example is the "Civil War Caltrops" being sold on eBay. They are 6-pointed "jackstone" looking cast iron items, but are not from the civil war and are certainly not caltrops:

57 bucks for scrap metal.

Browse the completed listings and you will see tons of them.

Know what they are? Mass-produced "mill stars" previously used by the metal foundry industry to de-burr castings in a tumbler.

This scam has been going on for over a decade (I've watched the caltrop market since 2000).

And ya know what? I think I'm gunna head up to Michigan or some other blighted industrial area and try to find me a truckload so i can join the ranks of the disingenuous and earn me an extra 100 a week off of general human idiocy. If ya can't win at fighting them, might as well do it better and take all the money that would otherwise go to them. [;)]

simpleman

Reaction score
I agree with georgeoj. Its a waste of time to report anything to eBay. I reported a buyer who emailed threats to post negative feedback unless I sent them additional items that they didnt pay for. I sent the threatening emails that I received from the buyer, to eBay, and went through the whole complaint process, and eBay did absolutely nothing. Buying anything and selling anything, on eBay, is a risk every time.

markh

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

And ya know what? I think I'm gunna head up to Michigan or some other blighted industrial area and try to find me a truckload so i can join the ranks of the disingenuous and earn me an extra 100 a week off of general human idiocy. If ya can't win at fighting them, might as well do it better and take all the money that would otherwise go to them. [;)]

I try to remember the quote from Anselm Rothschild when faced with some of the crazy things going on in the world today:

"There is some money to be made..., We must take things as they are and profit of the folly of the world."

http://books.google.com/books?id=DJ_DJhdN1XQC&q=take+things#v=snippet&q=We%20must%20take%20things&f=false
Mark

splante

Reaction score
I have actually had decent luck reporting scams to ebay. they removed one seller and canceled a few auctions.However they give you no feedback on what they took for action,you have to observe it for yourself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn