Removing Abrasions (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ToddB65

Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I'm new to old bottle recovery & collecting and need some advice.
I found an old dump site on my place and have recovered a few bottles, one of which appears to be a Fletcher's Castoria Laxative bottle, made of clear glass. This bottle has abrasions and I am wondering if it would be advisable to attempt polishing them out. If, in fact, this is a valuable collector item, would polishing enhance it's value, or reduce it ?
If polishing is advisable, what polishing media(s), applicator and technique would you suggest ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

ToddB65 [;)]

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Todd, Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Collecting bottles and other glass+ items is very addictive and can easly become a life long obsession.

The Fletcher's bottle you found is very common and you will find many many more. It is the first embossed bottle that many collectors find and many collectors have them right along their very rare bottles.

Go over your dump really well and find something to probe with so you can find out how deep it is. Then dig, dig, dig. Keep us inforumed of your finds and post lots of pictures.

You will find that this forum is a wealth of info and resoures and that there are alot of great folks here.

Dig and have fun, your hooked.[:)]

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
my first privi in the mountains around here i found 20 of them in aqau from 1890s and the value is not much at all. i would be lucky to get 50 cents each,

But your first finds are always some thing special, cleaning? soak them for a few days in a mixture of 1 gallon water 1 half cup muratic acid (outside of course) and some dush soap then if you have scratches, not much you can do unless you want it tumbled and it's really not worth it.

rick kern

ToddB65

Reaction score
Thanks Warren and Rick for replies to my subject. I'll forget about polishing my Fletcher's bottle in view of its' low value.

Todd [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter