Repairing a rare bottle with a chip

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hello to all of you bottle collectors out there. I saw a post a few weeks ago asking how to repair cracks in glass but I would like information on reattaching a piece of glass. I have a half gallon ABC mason jar with a large chunk of glass missing out of the lip and I have the chunk of glass. When I dug it, I first saw the bottom and thought it was a regular 1858 so I gave it a tug and to loosen it up. The rusty bail was attached to the lid and the lip which made it nearly impossibly to get them apart. When I pulled on the jar it came out but the lid and a chunk of glass from the lip stayed in the hole. So I was wondering if anyone know someone that could repair something like this. I figure super glue would work but is there a better product that may be less visible?

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi Bottleman, and welcome to the forum. I am from Australia, and my suggestion would be to use Araldite. However, rather than go ahead straight away, I would wait to see what other members say.

Cheers,

Tandy.

IRISH

Reaction score
Super glue/Araldite will fill the chip but it looks really ugly [;)] , if you can get a product called crystal clear or another UV light setting glass glue it will do a much better job.
If you go to a hobby store or an artists supply store and ask for UV glass glue they may be able to help you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229