repairing cracks/chips in glass with resin?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Erik T

Reaction score
Say you have a rare bottle, and this bottle has a large crack running down the side. Could you inject resin into the crack and make it less visible? I saw a commercial for a windshiled glass repair place where they did the same to a crack in a windshield. I'm new to everything and so I don't know the steps of glass restoration so if this is already being done to restore glass please enlighten me.

cadburys

Reaction score
The only way to do this is to open the crack a little and then inject the resin. If you do this it will crack even more on a bottle. the only reason this will work on a windshield is that it has a large surface area and it is laminated ( plastic in the center)

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I used to do windshield repairs (and replacements) back in the day,...still have a repair kit, and wondered how to try that....too durn risky! We would use heat to "coax" the liquid resin deeper into the leg of the crack....I just can't imagine holding my lighter under the crack on a prized bottle...[:mad:] someday someone will figure a way....then we'll all have to carry a blacklight when checking out bottles, to detect the repairs...[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2