Rookie Needs Help Taking A Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sha11s

Reaction score
Well, A 1930's-50's garbage dump to be more specific :) Hi to all! I am new guy here and just wondering if I could get a couple pointers from some of you more experienced folks? Let me explain the situation:
Back in September, I was directed to a dump that was used from the early 30's to the late 50's. I went to check it out and found quite a bit of stuff lying on the surface ie broken soda bottles, whisky bottles,milk glass night creams and lots of other stuff from this period. There was however, one area that is entierly comprised of rusted out oil tins, matress springs etc. I guess my question is... Is it worth digging under all this debris, or is it likely that it will be more of the same metal? Should I focus more on the areas where there is glass? I am going to go out again next week and would appreciate any pointers you may have. I tried posting a pic, but too large. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Scott

glass man

Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM! I WOULD SAY IF THE DUMP IS ONLY FROM THE 30S-50S WOULD ONLY BE WORTH IT IF YOU LOVE BOTTLES,ITEMS FROM THAT PERIOD.

YES DIG THE NO DEBRIS PART FIRST AND SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!

AT A LOCAL DUMP WAS A LOT OF NEWER STUFF ON TOP OF THINGS FROM THE EARLY 1900S. WAS DEF.WORTH DIGGING IN THAT CASE CAUSE SOME REALLY GOOD STUFF FOUND. COKES,POISONS,PEPSI,ETC.

WOULD SAY YOUR CALL!
NOW WILL LET THE PROS TAKE OVER![&:] JAMIE

TJSJHART

Reaction score
welcome,,,it's got to do with what you collect ..and what you find and trading what you don't collect then theres that collecting bug watch out for it ..you find something you never intend to keep then all of a sudden your shelves or store room are full of stuff. and if you are married your better half wants all of it out....GOOD LUCK and welcome again...have fun

sha11s

Reaction score
I am currently collecting ACL sodas, so this dump certainly is what I have been looking for. Sadly, all the top wants for my collection were there, just broken or faded out. I found it very frustrating that every time I thought I was on to something, it was a CLOROX bottle!
In response to TJSJHART's comment about other collections, well let us just say that I really had a hard time not picking up every single bottle at the site. I think it helped that my wife was standing right there with me ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I really enjoy this site and look forward to doing a little more posting rather than "lurking"

Scott

jays emporium

Reaction score
Hi, Scott. Where are you from? I dig in a dump of that age here in Texas occasionally and find some keepers. There are embossed sodas from the 1930's that are quite collectible. Unfortunately for ACL's they don't hold up well after being exposed to the elements for 50 years. You might find one inside a can or something that protects it but most of them will be very faded or worn off entirely.
I keep all the cobalt blue and emerald green bottles I dig, even if they are screw tops, just because people like colored bottles. There could be some embossed milks, glass banks, white house vinegars that are collectible. I even see Chlorox bottles in antique malls for $5.00 but I don't know if they ever sell. Good luck with your digs.
Jay

sha11s

Reaction score
Hey Jay, I live in Toronto, Canada. The dump that I have been going to is about 2 hours north of the city, in a rural, forest setting. I was tipped off to this site by an antique store owner who says that he is probably the only person who has been going there in the past 10 years. I did find a few broken ACL dairy bottles and two busted double dot Pepsi's :( Good advice on the cobalt and green glass, I did keep about 5 cobalt Noxema jars that look nice. My hope is that I can find some bottles in good shape that (as you mention) are in a can or something. I pulled a nice deco soda "Silver Foam" (ginger ale) from the glass side, but of course the lip was broken on it. I kept it anyways as it is a really nice design - hope to find more!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Scott, any dump from the 1950s earlier could be worth digging if you collect a little of everything. There are very valuable collectibles from every era. The oil can end might be the dumping area for a gas station so there could be some good finds in there. Dig a few test holes around the dump and pick a spot but dig the whole dump. That way you will have an idea of how the dump was constructed. Mostly, take lots of pictures or make vids of you digging experience and post them. [:)]

Welcome to the forum!!!

sha11s

Reaction score
Thanks Warren!! That is a really good point you make about it being a dumping area for a gas station! I almost grabbed some of the old Quaker State tins that were there, but I think they were too off-grade for most collectors. I will take more pics this time around. Thanks very much for your advice on this!

Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc