Root beer & Wild Cherries

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
This would be a great way to keep plenty of soft drinks on hand. 5 gallons from a 4 1/2" bottle.Wow! Moved a small boulder about 2' deep and look what was on the uphill side; The 6 5/8"tall -8 sided,Dr.Wistars bottle.It's embossed "Philad" with a smaller capitol "A" afterwards. And "IB" on the back panel.
Any info on these would be appreciated.

Pn36517.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36517.jpg
    Pn36517.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 57

diginit

Reaction score
Here's the bottom and back. Looks BIM to me, But I'm not complaining.Thats not a 2 in the bottom. It's the back of the S on the front.
Us52770.jpg

woody

Reaction score
I've dug alot of Wistar bottles over the years and I am always excited about finding one.
I even found a pontiled one, once.
Good find!!!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
My digging buddy has a sweet pontiled Wistars...He traded a six pack of Bud beer for it several years ago. He has the newer one, and the tiny sample wistars too.

David E

Reaction score
There are several variants of D. Wistars, my book shows five of them Balsam of Wild Cherry I.B stands for Issac Butts, he became sole owner in 1875 and was purported to have for forty years before that. Sereral owner and among others things was cure for consumption.
show aqua 6 1/2' eight sided,
" 5" " "
It was still in use Dr Wistar's Balsam of Wild Cherry Philada/ I.B. years after Butts and still had his initials on to 1974. As said different owners and agents about the same name used except I see on also added John D. Park Cincinnati Ohio.
Wistars name aso appears on Oxygenated Bitters Label Ca 1858.
Dave

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris