Royal ruby

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
is this a rare bottle, someone I showed it to told me that in every case of quarts they made one, and pople love to break them, at the site I dug this one I saw a few smashed ones

Ay73771.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73771.jpg
    Ay73771.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 81

Tony14

Reaction score
I have a commemerative anchor-hocking book right here in front of me. Can you post a pic of the bottle without the light in the background. From what I can tell the bottle is a 32 oz. Schlitz beer. There is only one known with a full label, but that was in 2000, but that bottle with a full label is worth $100-$125. without a label I would guess $50 but thats acording to my book. Nice Find.

slaks29

Reaction score
I found one of these in the Long Lake dump in the Adirondacks years ago. While I was down picking it up a bear came up behind me and my friend we made a high speed exit back to the top of the dump with the bottle. I always heard they were keepers and I knew Schlitz put them out but never knew their value. I also heard they were discontinued due to the expense of producing the bottle. I'm loving this forum. I'm gaining a lot of knowledge about stuff like this that I've saved for years but could get no info on.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Yes, Schlitz Brewing Company had these made for a short time, I think it was in the 1960's to try to boost sales of their quart beer bottles. But sales didn't improve enough to warrant the extra expense of the color, so they canned the idea. the last ones I saw around antique malls were going for 20-30 dollars. I am sure one with original paper lable would be worth much more. I think if they had used a lighter color it might have helped sales. Still a good find, the glass was not particularly heavy so the did break easily when thrown away.

Cliff

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Thanks guy s for the info, always love the color, in the 1st year I dug up in Scarboro, I found about 6 dumps and most of them were filled with booze bottles, they must have love to drink near the coast, those long cold winters, some things never change [:)]

diggerjeff

Reaction score
it takes pure gold to make a red color glass. that is why you dont see alot of red bottles, it just was not worth the expense for something that would get tossed!

slaks29

Reaction score
Hi Caretaker, you talk about digging lots of booze bottles, I agree. In the early years of my town there was a lot of iron mining and lumbering going on around the area. The dumps from those camps contained almost exclusively whiskey and beer bottles while the farm dumps had a mix of bottles, mostly food containers and medicines. That's what I like about digging. You get some insite into the folks that lived back then by what they threw out. One great dump we hit was filled with Warner's bottles. Big ones, little ones, remedies and cures, shucks no bitters. We must have taken 3 dozen intact Warner's bottles out of the one dump not to mention all the broken stuff. Whoever was using that dump had to be hooked on the stuff.

kastoo

Reaction score
Wow I just ent toEbay to do a search and royal ruby dishes go for cheap...way cheaper than bottle blanks...odd.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter