Rumford chemical works?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E

Reaction score
More information
RUMFORD CHEMICAL WORKS (Base) PATENTED MARCH 10, 1868.
It was more convenient for making lemonade than lemons or limes, and is healthier than either. Advertised 1884 and 1935.
Eben N. Horseford , appointed professor at Havard U by Benjamin Count Rumford, established the business with George Wilson in Providence RI. in 1855.
Incorperated as Rumford Chem Wrks in 1857. In 1966 purchased by the Essex Corp. In 1975 the firm was closed.

Blue clear 5 1/2"x 2 5/116" diameter with no base embosing 7 1/2" x 2 3/16".

medbottle

Reaction score
Hi Rhona. The aqua bottles such as yours held baking powder, and are sometimes embossed to indicate this. They are very common, and not worth much monetarily. [:(]Other similar bottles can be found for Davis baking powder and Seagull baking powder. I don't know if the two Rumford's are connected.

kastoo

Reaction score
Aha..I knew I had seen this recently was this you too?

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/bottles/bottles_config.pl?read=9667

amblypygi

Reaction score
I think they're different, the one below is older. I had one like that that I sold on ebay for 27 bucks, now I regret it because the older ones are harder to come by. They are great bottles for a colorful display because if the cat does them in, ehhhh.

:)

Sean

ORIGINAL: kastoo

Aha..I knew I had seen this recently was this you too?

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/bottles/bottles_config.pl?read=9667

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hey Katsoo,
I received the postage today on the Rumford . I hope the bottle was what you were looking for , and I hope you enjoy it ! Brian

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have a feeling those teal cathedrals are a common bottle that that may be more collectible in the future. May be worth stowing a few away.

portland med. man

Reaction score
there is also a mold varient to these rumfords the older ones have a longer neck and a much bigger tooled lip and i cant remember but the embossing is on the left panel and opposite on the other ones i have 7 rumfords in the teal color had them all sitting in my window one day i was looking at them and noticed on some the rumford was on the left on the others it was on the right .....something maybe you guys didn`t notice i never did until i had them all together.....

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS