Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Rust on bottle caps

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Old bottle caps are pretty similar to old beer cans, so the same cleaning methods apply. Easiest is to soak them in citric acid (or just lemon juice). Oxalic acid would likely get better results, though I wouldn't necessarily refer to oxalic acid as "safe." I should note that I'm not certain that this applies to the really old pre-1930s bottle caps, I haven't had any experience with those so not sure if the paint is different or not.

WesternPA-collector

Mar 10, 2018
Connellsville, PA
Old bottle caps are pretty similar to old beer cans, so the same cleaning methods apply. Easiest is to soak them in citric acid (or just lemon juice). Oxalic acid would likely get better results, though I wouldn't necessarily refer to oxalic acid as "safe." I should note that I'm not certain that this applies to the really old pre-1930s bottle caps, I haven't had any experience with those so not sure if the paint is different or not.
That sounds like it's worth a try. So I wonder if a citrus-based cleaner like Oxygen Orange would have a similar or even better effect. Not just spraying the caps with it but soaking them in it. My caps are not pre-1930's luckily. Thanks for your advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeiser0