SA dig 15.... Sod's Law!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SAbottles

Reaction score
At last, back to the Lane after a month of coughing, hacking and worrying about what might be happening there. The answer to that was ... nothing! Some garden type refuse is being dumped, but fortunately away from the digging area.
Had already decided where to dig. The previous digs have all been trenches at right angles to the wall; now to start a series at right angles to these trenches, on far side from the wall ~ (complicated ? don't worry, just read!)
This is where I started :

LaneApr171.jpg

The hole has the familiar "grave" look to it:
LaneApr177.jpg

SAbottles

Reaction score
All right, where does Sod's Law come into it? Well, I had got down into the ash layer and out came the first bottle - a really nice little rectangular cobalt blue poison. I placed it a little way from the hole and went on enlarging the hole with my pick axe. Placed the pick axe behind me, reached for my spade, turned round and yes ... the pick axe had landed right on the little poison!

LaneApr176.jpg

There wasn't really much I could do except call myself several unrepeatable names and make a mental note to get the DAMN box out of the truck & put any other finds in it. (And try not to look at the little blue fragments!)

LaneApr175.jpg

SAbottles

Reaction score
Had the usual problem with lots of rusty metal, but got a few bottles out:

LaneApr172.jpg

and this is what they looked like after a quick lick & a spit clean:

LaneApr173.jpg

SAbottles

Reaction score
The little square clear bottle in front is actually quite interesting (to me, any way!)

LaneApr174.jpg

Here it is, washed up and still with its little metal screw top more or less intact:

LaneApr179.jpg

SAbottles

Reaction score
It is an Everett's boot polish bottle, much like the one on the right of this picture ~

LaneApr1710.jpg

(photo courtesy of Bottles & Bygones - Ethleen & Al Lastovica)

SAbottles

Reaction score
So, glad to get back to the lane, BUT ... now there will be another hiatus as I am seeing my dermatologist tomorrow & he will probably burn several sun spots off my hands (& probably elsewhere!) which will mean no sun or getting dirt on them for a week or so ! Mutter, mutter !! [:'(]

surfaceone

Reaction score
LaneApr173.jpg

Hey Dale,

Nice buncha new guys, sir. Better introductions are needed, please.

I'm especially curious on the skittle and the Rileys...

Good luck with the Doc.

FourCorners.jpg

SAbottles

Reaction score
Thanks Surface. The little "skittle" or blob top was a generic soda water or mineral water bottle, used by many companies with a paper label. We do get some which were embossed. Not sure what you mean by Rileys? Probably the SA Breweries beer bottles with internal screw stoppers made of ebonite ?

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.