Same mold, same city, different companies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of Massasoit paper labels - maybe this is what they look like. If so I gotta get me one - especially if it's on a bottle. It would fit in nicely with my collection of Big Chief soda bottles.

Bob

Attachments

• Massasoit 1929.png
    Massasoit 1929.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 50

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
Thanks, Bob. Massasoit spring is located in West Springfield in what is now Bear Hole reservoir, and it still flows. I have this 28 ounce Massasoit Bottling Co bottle, and I've seen an art deco Massasoit Beverages before. It had the profile of an Indian on it, but it was cracked pretty badly and had big heel so I passed on it. I don't belive Massasoit Bottling had anything to do with the spring aside from the name because the springhouse, the Bearhole restaurant, and any other structures were demolished in the 1890s when the reservoir was created, but the ruins are pretty well known in my area. I also could not find a date on my X-Tra bottle.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Great bottle, Hunter. Do you have a photo of the deco bottle? That's the one I would like to find in good condition. By the way, did you use a magnifying glass to look for the date code? Sometimes the letter is so small you can barely see it. I had to use a 30X loupe one time to find it.

Bob

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
No, unfortunately. The art deco bottle was for sale at the Brimfield antique fair and I believe the guy who runs the booth is in the same spot each show. I'll see if I can get a picture if I get the chance to go this fall.

SODABOB

Reaction score
And this for future research ...

The Schwartz brothers had a service station and a gas/oil storing facility at 1101 / 1071 Dwight Street from the 1930s through the 1950s. I don't know all that much about it except it was called Yankee Oil / Gas. It was located at or near their bottling operation and apparently run during the same time period.

https://cimc.epa.gov/ords/cimc/f?p=121:31::::Y,31:P31_ID:91482

Bob

Schwartz Bros Yankee Oil Springfield 1935.jpeg
Schwartz Bros Yankee Oil 1948 Springfield Directory.jpg

Last edited:

mixfish

Reaction score
Thanks again, Bob! It makes me think Nocafeen was owed by a larger company like you said and had other companies bottle their soda. I also found the photo of the bottling plant. It's from around 1938/1939 and was located at 66 Charles Street, now part of Franklin Street. There's also a Min-R-Ize sign above the door, another Springfield brand.
View attachment 248188
I hope the owner lived in that house.

SandiR

Reaction score
I haven't thoroughly read all of the comments. But a similar mould with different base is not uncommon. Also, there were moulds that could have a removable metal piece that would change a number, name, or whatever. So if it was the same mould, not all that unique, but I suspect it was just a similar mould. One way to really tell if they are the same mould is to see if the same pattern exists throughout for all of the "mottled" portion. The other is to look at the word "REGISTERED" and see if the lines come down the bottle in the same places over the letters each time. They don't seem to, but with the background in the photos, it's hard to tell.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen