Sanbourn and probe HELP PLEASE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I have finally got my first permission to do some probing. I have to build a probe tomorrow. Any suggestions or tips on a making a probe? Here is a pic from a Sanborn map. Is the out house possible where I have marked it? I want to do this right because the news paper found out my desire to dig an outhouse and want to do a story on it. I figure if I can get a story on it will help me find more places to dig. any tips would be much appreciated. The house was built in 1884. My 1885 map doesn't show that part of town. this is a 1902 map that I am showing here but that same place I marked as possible outhouse is in the same place on the 1891 and 1896 maps. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I am in Abilene Texas if this makes any difference in the way things might be set up
Brian

Xv65203.jpg

Attachments

• Xv65203.jpg
    Xv65203.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 68

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Brian,
The right back corner looks like a good start. I'd check the other, left corner, if that doesn't probe well. From there, everything in between on the back property line. Still nothing great, I'd favor the left side of #504 because of the layout of the house, rear area. Good luck and I wish you well.

David E

Reaction score
On 504 looks like the rear door to that house is in about center of lot. If there is an alley back there I would check from the alley one or two feet (maybe more) into the property in line with that back door. In our city that's where most were found and a least 30 feet away from house. But I beleive a direct line from the back door. After that maybe a sunken portion of the ground, and sometimes good growing vegetation is good to note.
Anyway sounds like fun and good luck.
Dave

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Good luck on your first crapper Brian![:D] Let us know how it comes out.... err ah, let us know if you find the desired location ![;)] Happy Diggin, Kelley

flasherr

Reaction score
That is basically what mine that I built today looks like. Is the washer part really necessary dosnt it cause to much drag? My handle is 26" wide im a big boy so I need more space lol. We used some stainless rod my dad had and made it about 5 feet long that was what seemed comfortable to me. How far do you need to push to know you have gone far enough? Do you push until you find a cap in the soil where you cant push anymore? and when you find the privy or hole will you just about fall over because it goes so fast and easy? I didn't get to probe like I wanted to tonight had to work and going out of town for the holiday to work so it will be Monday before I can get back. thank you for all the help you guys are providing.

Kelley i hope my craper comes easy i hate to struggle and wait to get the crap out lol

What am I actually looking at in the sample that comes out? Will it show me ash or different colored soil? My dad watched a deal on discovery channel and they were probing ancient ruins. their probe had a tube on side to get a soli sample but I figured that would cause a big drag
Brian

flasherr

Reaction score
Can someone answer some of the questions i asked in the above post? Thank you Brian

diggerjeff

Reaction score
your probe looks good i place the bead about 3/4 " above the tip, but yours should get the job done.. digging is tough but alot of probing is harder on the upper body. i like a little shorter probe ( i am 5'11" ) about 48- 50 inches. it is a bit easier and bends less.

look 10 feet from the alley alll along the back . if you have no results then look 5-6 feet off the side property lines. if those both fail to produce results, start probing center yard twards house.

the feel of newer privys is loose with crunchy coal clinkers. the probe should sink easy . you may or may not feel a plug. push in your probe 3-4 feet . that should be deep enough. look for sinks in the yard. you should be able to push thru the cap .
look for lime , wood ash ,red brick or burnt coal around the bead of the tip. this is not as easy as it sounds . getting " the feel " for a probe is tricky. practice probing often so you dont loose the touch. good luck
jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75