How to probe in hard ground?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I have permission to dig around an old house built in 1916. I have reason to believe there is a trash pit somewhere in the yard but the topsoil is heavily compacted. I can hardly get a probe in the ground and I don't want to go around digging blindly. How do I get the probe through the topsoil!?!? In the meantime, I'll be checking out the crawlspace. Thx.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I run into that problem lots of times. when that happens sometimes it's best to Waite for it to rain all week long & then try probing after rain has softened up ground. LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
A serious battery-powered drill or a hammer probe both work wonders. I use them to start a hole down 1-2' which usually gets you through the real hard ground. The hammer probe is a lot cheaper but you need to be in real good shape to run it. The drill is great but is costly.

nhpharm

Reaction score

hemihampton

Reaction score
Most Privy's in my area are softer dirt then the non privy areas around it. Usually if your not in a privy the ground will be hard if your in a Privy the ground will be soft or softer but not always. there are exceptions. Sometimes a clay cap can make it hard to penetrate. Just my opinion from where I dig. LEON.

p.s. never heard of a hammer probe, it may come in handy.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen