Sarsaparillas and bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

abcreview

Reaction score
OK, that will do for now, except for one last shot of two of my bitters:

olivenewyork.jpg
blacknewyork.jpg

texasdigger

Reaction score
Very very nice! When it comes to sheer looks though I like the "Dunn's" coffee bottle the best though. Next would be the philly hops bitters. Just awesome! Thanks for showing them to us.

Brad

Wangan

Reaction score
Excellent glass! Being a Cooper myself the Sir Astley Cooper bottle is my favorite and the embossing on the Rowlands Celerine would be next.Beautiful line up.Dont hesitate to show us more!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well this is a beautiful exhibit of bottle pictures. Now some one will have to tell me how to get back to this in the search system. If I can't, I could choke the computer cow- this last computer my grandson set up form me is about the same size as a common book. It is an Eee Box - cpu. with an external CD drive. But it works better than the old one.
RED Matthews

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Do you know why there are so many bottles for your country that have the names of other countries/cities/etc? Many of those, if you hadn't shown otherwise, I would have assumed were American...

Some really beautiful glass. I would have thought all the Aussie stuff would look similar to English glass...

Jim G

annie44

Reaction score
Very impressive collection. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures!

abcreview

Reaction score
I cannot say deifnitively why there are so many bottles from here that are named after other places, however there are a couple of theories.
Many of the American named bitters were found in country areas at old Cobb and Co stations, it is thought that possibly they were named as such to cater for the large American population at the time?
Others such as Kent Hop bitters seem to be named after a region reknowned for hops growing?
Really there is little information on many of the bottles, for instance the Milwaukee bitters - nobody knows who made it? The glass is made by the same glass company that blew the St Louis, Boston and New York bitters (of which small amounts of information are known, but in general these bottles are very enigmatic, and rare pieces), all with the same distinctive base corners and crude shape. Maybe they were made for the same company? Much like Coke these days owns just about everything, maybe many "competing" bitters brands in the day were not competing at all?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie