SCIENTIFIC SODA "POP" BOB QUESTIONS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleopop

Reaction score
Without looking this up anywhere, I would answer that carbon dioxide dissolves in water. This dissolving is actually a chemical reaction in which both the water HOH and carbon dioxide OCO react to make carbonic acid (a very weak acid) (now I gotta use some dots for spacing)
....O
HOCOH.

At room pressure, the amount of carbon dioxide that will dissolve in water is relatively low. However, higher pressure will cause more carbon dioxide to react with water; more dissolves in the water to become carbonic acid. We have a soda water making appliance that uses a pressurized can to make soda water, so I have seen that this reaction is very fast; more or less instant.

The key point though, is that the opposite chemical reaction is a lot slower. When the pressure is slowly brought back to normal (uncap it slowly), the result is a supersaturated solution of carbon dioxide. It takes some time for the chemical mixture to release the carbon dioxide from the carbonic acid. Therefore you have plenty of time to drink it. The heat in your mouth speeds up the reverse reaction so the carbon dioxide comes out more quickly, producing the sensation that made sodapop famous!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bottleopop ~

Right on! That makes total sense. I didn't even think about the "once it hits your mouth" part. I should have titled this ...

EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT CARBONATION BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

SPBOB

druggistnut

Reaction score
But even these I have experimented with and no matter how tight I reseal it, the contents still go flat after a time.

Bob,
I DO know that if you take a screw top plastic 2 liter of pop and turn it upside down in the fridge, after it is opened, it stays pressurized (doesn't go flat) for quite some time.
The air can't escape out the bottom (now top) of the container.
Bill

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bill ~

Thanks. I never thought of turning a bottle upside down. Now all I have to do is figure out how to balance one on the cap so it stays upright. I suppose laying one on it's side would work too if there was enough contents left to go against the cap. Maybe one of you brainy guys/gals (not me) should design a soda bottle (like those uside-down ketchup's) that has a big cap on it for standing it upright.

Hmmm ... Actually, that's a really good idea when you stop and think about it. Especially if it works and you could guarantee it not to go flat. I have ten bucks to invest in it if anyone wants to join me in the venture. Lol [sm=lol.gif]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Just for the record: I am officially Patenting/Copyrighting/Trademarking my "Big Cap" soda bottle right here and now. I'm calling it ...

[:D] "THE CARBOB SODA BOTTLE" [:D]

And in conjuction with that I am also announcing the introduction of multi-sized plastic holders that will accommodate various sizes of soda bottles in an upright position. I'm calling these ...

[:D] "THE CARBOB SODA BOTTLE HOLDERS" [:D]

Thanks, Bill. You just made me a millionaire. Now all I need is about a jillion dollars to put with my ten bucks.

SODA "CRAZY" BOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Ummm ...

On second thought, I think I better do some experimenting first. I'd hate to lose my ten bucks for nothing!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey SODACRAZYBOB,

I believe I may have an old case of Fresca in the basement that dates from the late 60's or early 70's. As I recall, Fresca seemed rather lightly carbonated. When last seen, the appearance of the soda was not too delectable. It appeared to be separating or morphing into something that at first & last glance was not the picture of delicious low calorie grapefruitiness.

I got a lot of stuff on the plate in the next couple days. Maybe I can resurrect that case and see if all the fizzy business is still there.

DSCN1502.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
surfaceone ~

Sounds good. Please let us know how it turns out. I suspect that the early cork caps are less likely to hold a seal for as long a period of time as did the later plastic ones. It would be interesting to know if a teens thru the 1920s soda bottle could remain pressuerized/carbonated all these years?

Here is something of interest I found regarding the discovery of early carbonation. The link at the bottom has some additional information.

SPBOB

In late 18th century, scientists made important progress in replicating naturally carbonated mineral waters. In 1767, Englishman Joseph Priestley first discovered a method of infusing water with carbon dioxide to make carbonated water which has 3.4 mg in the drink [4] when he suspended a bowl of distilled water above a beer vat at a local brewery in Leeds, England. His invention of carbonated water, (also known as soda water), is the major and defining component of most soft drinks. Priestley found water thus treated had a pleasant taste, and he offered it to friends as a refreshing drink. In 1772, Priestley published a paper entitled Impregnating Water with Fixed Air in which he describes dripping oil of vitriol (or sulfuric acid as it is now called) onto chalk to produce carbon dioxide gas, and encouraging the gas to dissolve into an agitated bowl of water. Another Englishman, John Mervin Nooth, improved Priestley's design and sold his apparatus for commercial use in pharmacies. Swedish chemist Torbern Bergman invented a generating apparatus that made carbonated water from chalk by the use of sulfuric acid. Bergman's apparatus allowed imitation mineral water to be produced in large amounts. Swedish chemist Jöns Jacob Berzelius started to add flavors (spices, juices and wine) to carbonated water in the late 18th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink
[/align]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen