See The Light!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi All, My wife and I got into what turned out to be a not too old dump site today. I figure 1920 - 1950 +/-. We decided to stick with it, because this site is 'upstream' from where I found the Wa Netta Cocoa Jar last week; and we though mabey we might find some milk bottles and ACL sodas. (check out the Beacon soda bottle in the Coke area!) At first glance this 'unexpected discovery' seemed quite unremarkable, it's an old clear light bulb from the 40's - 50s (?) My wife said keep it because it survived being buried amongst tons of very large stones. Well to make a long story short, we took it home, cleaned it in a bucket with the bottles, and after noticing that it looked in remarkable condition.....yep, I put it in a lamp, turned the switch and it lit[:D]. Don't believe me? Here's the pictures!

Vt58663.jpg

Attachments

• Vt58663.jpg
    Vt58663.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 131

Maine Digger

Reaction score
[&:]I forgot to post a picture of the bulb lit last night. So this bulb sat in the earth for 40+ years and still lights! Very unexpected find[:D]

Zx72038.jpg

Attachments

• Zx72038.jpg
    Zx72038.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 139

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Great story Norm. I guess that bulb was made to last. I wonder why it was tossed.

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,
Did you know that there is actually a Light Bulb Musuem? Don't burn them out. They.re worth more working.[:)] Sounds like it's time for another search.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi diginit, Yes I found the lightbulb museum before I posted the picture. I've only lit it 3 times, because I am concerned it may blow if I light it too often. I can't get over it still being in operating condition!

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Norm....

I remember reading a story several years ago of a DC light bulb that burned steady in a guys' basement for something like 30 or 40 years without burning out....the modern AC bulbs burn out because of the constant "back and forth" current the AC produces, which causes electralasous(SP)and weakens the filament until it finally breaks at the weakest spot in the "wire", so I would be careful using AC current...the bulb is probably designed for DC......or is my theory full of smoke?...(I never was very good at geology in school...[8D])

[8|]The Doctor...

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Dave, Yeah, I was very hesitant to light it again in order to take the picture to post, but I swallowed hard and turned the switch anyway.[:eek:] I've only lit it 3 times, and that's going to be it; I noticed on close examination that there appears to be a 'floater', one of the filements has separated, but it still lights. It apparently is set up in a class A configuration, which allows the current to reverse, so all filements befor and after the break still function. I saw on the light bulb site how they repaired an early ruby bulb, but I think this bulb is somewhat more common. I won't light it again, although the temptation is there, chalk it up to my obsessive nature![8D]

Latest posts

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide