Seven-up bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saphireblue

Reaction score
I found 5 seven-up bottles from the early 30s in a dump last yr. Seven-up was invented in 1929 for a great depression drink. The drink was made as a mood upper. Now I keep seeing values as 100 dollars a piece. Does anybody have a pic of the first seven-up bottle? Heres the bottles I found. It is a 7 oz.

984BECD4CD5B42BAA36CE32C1888DA3A.jpg

Attachments

• 984BECD4CD5B42BAA36CE32C1888DA3A.jpg
    984BECD4CD5B42BAA36CE32C1888DA3A.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 55

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
Early 7-ups were Paper Label then amber acl then the one you picture. That is a 40's -50 era one.It is a nice one and I think the all white labels are a little harder to find that the one with two colors (or at least around here)

saphireblue

Reaction score
The date on the bottom of the bottle says 32. In the books it says the first bottle is green.

saphireblue

Reaction score
Oops my bad this is the wrong seven-up bottle. The older one is at my parents house. It has a painted lable red and white . Painted seven-up above the lable. It says 32 on the bottom. This bottle says 7up on bottom. This one is from around late 40s.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
How about 37 or 38. The red paint must be missing, so that would be 42-45. Then its an 8bubble so_Or did the red come off? Hmmm looks like I don't know either. Safe to day between 37 and 45. Now where did I read that?"The Soda Fizz" I stole the info from BillLockhart.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
1st bottle was green but a paper label not a ACL. Amber followed the green and then back to green (or at least here) Most of that style is 40's. I don't think it is missing red I think white single color which some were.

saphireblue

Reaction score
I ll have to get back to you about the bottle then. I might have the years wrong then. Thx for the info on the first bottles then. I didnt know the first one had paper labeling.

thesodafizz

Reaction score
According to "Seven-Up Bottles - Another Look" by Bill Lockhart in the November-December 2007 issue of The Soda Fizz, beginning on page 14, he states (on page 16): "The next state begain in 1937. The 'slenderizing' lady lost her word (slenderizing) and acquired a swim suit. The shield was red-orange and everything else in ACL was white. LIke the paper label, the shield contained eight bubbles. During 1938, someone noticed that eight bubbles did not match well with Seven-Up. As a result, the labels from 1938 on contained seven bubbles. With one exception, this configuration and color scheme remained in use until 1853. The exception occured during WWII, but the exact dates have not been published... The swim suit bottle lost its red-orange sheild probably , sometime between 1942 and 1945 (with a exact picture to illustrate as your bottle above). The red pigment was saved for war use. With peace, the red-orange sheild returned."

Being Bill gives the date of 1942-1945 for this all-white label's use, it's very interesting that your bottle is marked 1932, which would be at leasat 10 years previous to what was previously believed for it's use.

Anyone that doesn't have a copy of this issue - and would like to see the entire article - email me and I'll send you a PDF copy of the article. (It also shows a copy of the first 7Up ACL bottle.)

It's things like this that keep it interesting - and keep the research going.

K

bamascavenger

Reaction score
With all ya'lls' help and the latest SODAFIZZ mag. I was able to tag and write when, where, how and now i will not forget and friends and family can just look and read for themselves. Especially on my 7 up bottles to date. Still looking for a few variables out there, then i will go back to my coca cola, etc... My hats are off to you ALL! What a great bunch of people...BOTTLE COLLECTORS!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles