Shark tooth...Nope

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
flint and chert are basically the same thing, generally chert is considered flint if it has finer more uniform microcrystals.

Obsidean can be found anywhere there were ancient volcanos or disruptions of the earth's plates.

Usnslacker

Reaction score
Here is what the PaleoIndian archeologist from the College of William & Mary had to say: "It looks like you have found a Small Triangular projectile point that has been re-sharpened. It was probably a true arrow point (as opposed to a spear point). Small Triangular is a generalized type that encompasses several named types (Levanna, Yadkin, Caraway, etc.) that are all small and triangular. Because this one appears to be re-sharpened, it is difficult to assign one of the more specific types. In any case the date range of small triangular points for this area is roughly 300-1700 AD.
Since you found the point in Hampton, it may be associated with a Kecoughtan occupation or may have been discarded by their ancestors."

He asked if I found more stuff and if I wanted to donate it for display. Probably will.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
here is probably the smallest point I have. made out of quartzite which is tricky to work.

0549C29BF9F948E89B6C776F661E6F02.jpg

Attachments

• 0549C29BF9F948E89B6C776F661E6F02.jpg
    0549C29BF9F948E89B6C776F661E6F02.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 87

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Matt,

That is very tiny and beautifully worked. Thanks for showing it.

Where I grew up, we always called the tiny ones, "Bird Points." I first heard the term from the local self taught archeologist and Rock Shop owner. Don't know if it's a true "technical term" or a regionalism...

Projectile_point_types.png

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
bird point is probably as good a name as anything else.
The early Eastern North American aborigines ate just about anything they could find. Big game like deer was great but like most hunter/gatherers the bulk of their game food was whatever they came across ... birds, frogs, turtles, squirrels, insects, fish, grubs, oysters ... you name it. It required a lot less energy to collect than hunting down large prey.
Large game probably got hunted out of areas pretty quick with larger villages.
Stone was only one of the materials for points. Here is a carved antler point I found. They were used a lot but dont normally survive because rodents chew them up. Tip is damaged on this one.

E423DA2655BD4736B970A19FA13BF9A3.jpg

Attachments

• E423DA2655BD4736B970A19FA13BF9A3.jpg
    E423DA2655BD4736B970A19FA13BF9A3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 74

lexdigger

Reaction score
I would say it's a small drill from of a Madison or Ft. Ancient point type. It's not uncommon to see drills of this size. Small or Tiny hole... small or tiny drill! LOL A lot of drill forms were recycled from arrowheads that were chipped or dinged.
If it's Obsidian it should be Translucent when held up to a bright light. Try a bare light bulb or the sun on a clear day. It is most likely Kanawa Black which is a type of chert commonly found in W. Va and Va.
Where there is one, there are Always more. You will find them time and time again if you continue to frequent the same spots over time.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The stone age people used small drills to drill mother of pearl to make ornaments amoung other things. THey used fresh water mussels from the rivers around here. I volunteered at a dig in VA where they excavated a burial that had about 12000 shell beads.
It was a site they were bulldozing to make room for high end tract mansions. Sort of reminded me of the Poltergeist movie with the houses built on an indian burial ground. Wonder if they ever told the furture home owners?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster