Ships Decanter ??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ve5bbt

Reaction score
Hi. I'm kind of new at this so I don't know where to start. I have a clear glass, Swedish/Norwegian, Etched Rum/Liqour bottle. One side has a sailing ship etched on it and the words " Segla vart jo*g vill Flaskan hor mig till " Large initials "A.L.G. 1849". The other side has some kind of a royal crown on a wreath with large lettering etched, " OSCC?N " " Den r ? ste" . I think it is some kind of Danish Ship whisky / rum bottle. Measures 10.5 inches hi. X 4 X 3. I belive it to be hand blown as the short neck (appx. 1.5 ") is slightly off center. I received this from my grandfather on a trip I made to Sweden a few wears ago. Does any one out there have an idea what I have? Thanks, Rick ve5bbt@sasktel.net

Fc90097.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their help on the ships bottle/decanter. Very interesting indeed. I will continue to check it our further. Thanks again Rick

Attachments

• Fc90097.jpg
    Fc90097.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 62

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi there, I attempted to access a Danish - English dictionary on line with little success. It's available, but I couldn't get it to load[&o]. That aside, is there any chance that your bottle is a one-of -a-kind item?[8|] Is it acid-etched, or did some artistic sailer produce the wonderful etching while at sea? I believe the key is translating the writing![;)]

plyng

Reaction score
Hi there. I am Danish - and even your bottle is Swedish, I´m able to tell you that it says:
"Sail wherever I want - the bottle belongs to me". OSCAR den förste (Oscar the first) was king of Sweden from 1799 to 1859.
Nice bottle!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
please give us some better pictures!! the decanter looks to be cut glass not acid etched.
we need to see the bottom and a close up of the neck !! very nice bottle! i doubt it belonged to king oscar , the bottle is old, but it does not look that old!

David E

Reaction score
Think you might have to call that a bottle. Ships decanter have a real large round bottom, so they will not tip over when the boat rocks. Unless that was how a decanter was made way back whenever.

Dave

ve5bbt

Reaction score
encolsed please find picture of decanter's bottom.

Rp43853.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43853.jpg
    Rp43853.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 57

ve5bbt

Reaction score
Here is top of ships decanter

Ur52144.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52144.jpg
    Ur52144.jpg