Should I dig this one??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Just found a new dump yesterday...It's in a creek bank near an old house. Most of the stuff is from the 40's. Got a 1945 pill (?) jar, 1946 lotion bottle, and a corker shoe polish. It's definitely a dump. Most of the stuff was broken but I found a few wholes. There's suff buried so It's good to dig. Shall I dig it?

Also found a 1966 Whiskey and snother Lotion (?) corker while doing some creek-walking in a different part of the creek.

pa digger

Reaction score
I would make sure that the house dates back to the 1870's or older before i did any digging. If you are not sure of the age look on a 1860's - 1870's map. If this one is on the map, i would go for it but the older things will be on the very bottom. But from the things that you said were found, it sounds like the place could be to new or a farm house. If this is the case then i would not waste my time on it.

Later PA digger

GuntherHess

Reaction score
A dump doesnt have to be 19th century to be worth digging.
I dug a 1940s dump that produced some rare amber milk bottles. I would say if you dont have anywhere better to dig , go ahead and dig it.
A bad dump to dig is better than NO dump to dig...

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Sorry Pa Digger but I gotta agree with Matt...I collect stuff up to the 70's so it would be no problem for me to dig it. I think I'll go for it. Besides, there might be some older stuff deeper down, the 40's stuff was just on the surface. The house next to it dates back to the 19th century so maybe there's better stuff deep down..

pa digger

Reaction score
Sorry Diggerboy: but it sounded like you wanted the real early stuff. I myself collect the early stuff and like to dig a good privy, and if a house was built 1880 and back and i can get a permission im there. I will mess around with a dump from time to time if i find some sign of early things. Don't get me wrong some milks are good but i don't search for them but if they are there where im digging ill take them and later sell them to buy something early. If you like early and late stuff then i would go for it. You have nothing to loose if you do not find anything that you can keep, but you're time. We all get skunked from time t time, weather we are digging an early or late privy/dump. This is the chance we diggers take for the love of our hobbie

Later PA Digger

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
thanx. No reason to feel sorry. Yes, I do collect both early stuff and later stuff. My oldest bottle is an 1850's pontiled VP Shaker bottle (Gift of Idigjars) and my newest is a Genessee NDNR Beer from 1976! Old or new, it's all good.

Yooper14

Reaction score
I would dig it...if for no other reason than to dig the milks that are surely there...those are highly collectible.
Tim

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Ya there were quite a few milk necks. probably a lot of milks buried.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen