site of my first dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ilyaz

Reaction score
This is my second post on this forum. The 1st one was this https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/First-post%3A-an-unexpected-find-during-creek-clean%2Dup/m-460320/tm.htm about some bottles we found with my son while on a volunteer clean-up last weekend. I am totally new to bottle collecting so I am slowly going through them and cleaning them. I started by using a lot of hot water, dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush. Got pretty far but still have stubborn grime to clean. Then I found this forum so now I need to find me some copper wire to cut... [:)]

Anyway, decided to go back today and take some photos. In part to record the details, in part to get some thoughts from all of you experienced diggers on what else that steep bank can be hiding.

Here's one view of the place:
site01_view1.jpg

Here's another from a different angle.At the bottom there were several large beams all twisted. I guess whatever they were supporting eventually crashed into the creek:
site02_view2.jpg

This one shows one of the holes we left when we pulled out the bottles. Above the hole is some really really rusted steel -- was falling apart in our hands: There was a lot of mixed steel, glass, pieces of ceramic tile etc there:
site03_bottle-hole-and-metal.jpg

Here's some steal beam or a similar structure covered with glass shards. The strange thing was that these shards looked like they were glues to the steel -- I could not rip any off:
site04_steel-with-glass.jpg

Here's a view from the bottom. How likely is it that if I continue digging at the bottom the tree -- together with the soil underneath it will come crashing down?
site05_view-from-bottom.jpg

Here's another "hole" photo + a broken bottle:
site06_bottle-holes-broken-bottle.jpg

So what do you guys thing this site was? A dump?

Looks like there is more stuff under layers of sand but do you think it would be safe to continue digging?

Thanks!

P.S. I'll post more photos when I am done with the cleaning.

luckiest

Reaction score
I think that rusty thing is the under-carriage of a car, I can see a leaf-spring there.

truedigr

Reaction score
Definitely looks dumpy to me. Some of my best dumps found in creeks were revealed by iron sticking out of the banks. There were no signs of glass at all. I would say keep digging, but watch tunneling to far in. Being that the bank is so high and the dump so low, the overhang or overburden can cause one heck of a cave in and be super dangerous. I would dig a little to see if the age is good. My opinion is that it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth. Robert

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I urge caution when digging here. In time the tree will end up falling, either in a storm due to wind, or the bank will give way under it. Might be a week, or 10 years.
The trick is not to be there when it does go, so that you can go back and find the goodies that will surface when it does go!

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Interesting landscape for a dump? Keep in mind that many streams are almost always slowly changes courses. With all the raw earth exposed it looks as if that stream has been doing some work. Just my thoughts.

PD

mr.fred

Reaction score
I have always loved a bank dig[:D]----i would be all over that place!---put your self in stealth mode and commence digging[;)]. Being mindful of the hazards of course[8|]. Creeks always give up their treasures (in) time. This is just me thinking of what (i) would be doing there[8D].-----i have done some fool heart-ed things in per suite of bottles. And welcome to the forum!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause