Small, old with crooked neck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sheila

Reaction score
This post is not about me!! [:D] This is another bottle that my dad had collected. It's about 6 7/8 inches tall and not quite 2 1/2 inches at the widest point. The corners are flattened(?) and there's 2 seams. The neck is very crooked and the bottle is not as clear as a clear bottle, slightly pinkish. No marks on the bottle but on the bottom, very faint, is what looks like G C S. My pics are awful, (some day I'll learn photography!) but any info would be appreciated. Thanks for this great site and all the info.

Fd91434.jpg

Attachments

• Fd91434.jpg
    Fd91434.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Hi sheila,

I couldn't find any info on the base markings. I found a GC and a G&S. This bottle looks to be from about 1890-1910. If it is pinkish in color then it might be in the early stages of Sun Colored glass. Leave it out in the sun for a month or so and you may see it darken into a purple hue.

Hard to tell from looking at it what it held. Embossing always helps with that determination but it might have held a medicine or chemical of some sort. As to value? I would say only 2-5 dollars (sorry).

If it does turn purple in the sun that would date it to pre- 1924 or so. Do the seams go all the way through the lip or do they stop before the lip?

As for the pics? A dark background against a light colored bottle works best. Also backlighting (either with a lamp or the sun) always helps. :eek:)

Regards,
BA

sheila

Reaction score
Thanks BA. The seams on the bottle don't go through the top. On one side the seam goes up to the bottom of the lip, the other one fades off about a half inch below the lip. The letters on the bottom are sooooo light I can't even get them to show up by rubbing them with a piece of paper and charcoal. My hubby thinks it's C C 8. I'm trying to get better photos. Still hoping that Dad had buried treasure in the basement! [;)]

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
I would put your bottle at about 1890-1910 as stated before. The seams and lip style just confirm it for me.

I found a reference to a bottle maker that used the mark C Co that was used from 1879-1907. Could be that one. Keep trying to figure it out.......it's fun to solve a mystery. :eek:)

BA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin