Snake oil OHHH #$%%@

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
I was digging a new dump I found and doing pretty well, stuff seams to be around 1860 to 1900's I found my first poison and was happy as @#$$#. With the blood now surging through my viens my next swipe of the shovel broke what would have been the best bottle I have ever and will ever find!! It was a Clark Stanley Snake Oil Linament. I Have been into snakes since I could walk and care for them as a proffession, this is a must bottle for me to have and did not know it even existed. I have not been able to sleep due to the depression. I have dug since till my fingers are raw "as usual" but with no luck it was probably the only one in the dam dump!!! Can some one help me find out about this bottle is it rare? and if anyone has an extra what is it worth?

One bummed out bottle buddy

cc6pack

Reaction score
Reptile,

They didn't call them Snake oil salesmen for nothing. Not to rub salt into your wound but here's something you might keep an eye out for.

Rp44940.jpg

Attachments

• Rp44940.jpg
    Rp44940.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 60

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi reptilekeeper,

Sorry to hear about the accident digging the SNAKE OIL bottle. They are not really rare. They were sold in the late 1800's. I have 2 sizes, both are tall clear square bottles. The small size is 3/4 in. square by 4 1/2 in. embossed CLARK STANLEY/SNAKE OIL/LINIMENT on three of the sides. The larger one is 1 1/4 in square by6 1/4 in tall.
It's embossed CLARK STANLEY"S SNAKE OIL LINIMENT/FOR RHEUMATISM AND NEURALGIA/BEST HORSE LINIMENT IN THE WORLD on Three sides. They are pretty neat bottles, of course most cure-all medicines became called "snake oil" after a while.
Here is some info on Snake Oil.

http://www.csicop.org/sb/9812/snakeoil.html

Check ebay and bottle shows and you should be able to find a snake oil bottle somewhere.

Cliff

swizzle

Reaction score
I also have a snake oil bottle. I'm not sure if its a clark stanley but I know it has stanley, snake oil embossed on it. I'm pretty sure it's embossed Clark Stanley, Snake Oil, Liniment on 3 sides, but I'm not absolutely positive. If your interested in buying it I'll give you a good deal on it just PM me and we'll go from there. Jason

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
Yes that is the bottle Eric she is a beauty, Man I hate ebay thought to stressfull!! I dug on my lunch break today, and till dark last night, I found a Dr, Trues Elixier, Famly Laxitive and worm expeler. That was a good find but NO SNAKE OIL!!!! there has got to be another. Jason thanks again for your offer this may be the only way I will ever get one.

Lou

epgorge

Reaction score
The pictures are gone but it sounded like yours is rectangular. Does it look like this.?
Ep

4C2E6A2AB1874DDD8D81938B91A084F8.jpg

Attachments

• 4C2E6A2AB1874DDD8D81938B91A084F8.jpg
    4C2E6A2AB1874DDD8D81938B91A084F8.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 62

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
Well, I think it's great you remembered, no, the one I BROKE, was different, it wasnt as large and it only said Clark Stanley Snake Oil Liniment (on 3 sides) the one you picture is a bit different but surely a nice bottle, if it has the word snake on it its a keeper! I still have not been able to find one myself. Swizzle was kind to enough to sell me one, also a bit differnt from yours and the one I broke, but I treasure it and it is my favorite bottle to date. The dump I broke the only one I have seen produced two more broken ones, and held hope, but now it has four new houses built on the site and the hope has ended. Epgorge, thank you for sharing your find! I LOVE THIS SITE !!!!

#1twin

Reaction score
reptilekeeper, You remind me of my twin brother. He has raised snakes forever and can tell me the scientific names of them. We have caught snakes since we were old enough to walk but I only pick them up if I think he wants one. We push Eastern Diamonbacks out of the roads to keep people from killing them. Sorry about your misfortune with the shovel. I have broke quite a few things myself. I like to use a short hand probe of some kind to poke as I go. It saves a lot of breakage. Good luck, Marvin

#1twin

Reaction score
Hey man, you need to check out the RATTLER OIL bottle under the "what is it before 1900" forum. Just a heads up dude[:D]

Marvin

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960