Snakes On The Forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
I took four, four foot black snakes out of my neighbors house for him back early last summer. He had an air vent screen come off the end of the foundation, apparently, old Mamma Snake must have went in and made a nest. Only one room with crawl space underneath, and a finished basement in the rest. The snakes got into the living area of the basement, and must have been living in there since they had hatched. Before we found the screen off the air vent of the house. I assumed the snake got in by some odd way. Took the first one out and tossed it into the weeds in the field. Thought that was the end of it, till the old Gentleman called me again the next day, saying he had one up on a small table by a wall knocking off pictures. Anyway we finally got them all out. I fixed the air vent for him and no further incidents of any more snakes in the house. I found it quite funny they were in there all that time and got that big without ever being spotted. I handled a couple of Rattlers while being stationed in the service out in Texas but as a rule, I try and stay away from the poisonous ones if I can.
I used to catch a lot of black snakes and garden snakes for fun, and bring them home when I was a youngster, drove my Mother nuts. Turned a three foot black snake loose in tenth grade study hall one afternoon in school. DON'T EVER DO THAT! That was a major mistake, never heard so much screaming and books being thrown all over the place in my life. Not saying that after being ratted out by one of the girls who saw me turn it loose, I was sent to the office and got the whipping of my life. I thought the principal was never going to stop swinging that paddle!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Good job, when I'm digging I occasionally come across a baby black rat or a ring neck and many red back salamanders. I try to move them and even worms out of harms way.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MARJORIE..what you asked was not showing any stupidity at all. Recall the cold snap we had a couple weeks ago? That was when I caught the snakes. They were huddled together for warmth and too sluggish to bite...or get away.
After I got them in the house they got pretty active and one tried to bite several times, but I had a proper grip on him. After they got used to me putting in their water, etc...they no longer offered to bite, but did try to get away from my grasp.

And yes...all snakes will bite gven the opportunity and enough provocation. Quick movements and loud noises will get them agitated to the point they will bite.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
WARREN, COBALT & LC...I see we are all of similar minds when it comes to snakes.
I have several funny ( to me) snake stories and one not so funny. Will get them typed up and post later, if I can remember all the details.

acls

Reaction score
Hey whiskeyman. Way to go on the snake rescue. I am one of those guys who thinks that snakes are pretty cool, and meet a lot of people who do not. It's great to see we have so many people who respect nature on our forum.

marjorie040

Reaction score
Thanks Whiskeyman,
I appreciate your reply and kindnesses to Mother Natures creatures....I will aspire!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ACLS...pleased ta meetcha. I encounter Peeps all the time who have killed a Garter snake or a Water snake and sworn up & down it was a Copperhead and strutted around like they were "tuff stuff." [:mad:]
If only theyd take the time to learn.[&:]

MARJORIE...yer quite welcome..."keep on, keepin' on"...[;)]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I was in the 4th grade when this occurred:[/align]After school let out one early Spring day, I went up into the Knobs ( forested hills & hollows), just to mingle my Self with Nature....and be alone.[/align]As I approached a flooded washout near a small stream, I saw dozens of Garter snakes....who quickly entered the washout and submerged beneathe the floating leaves. I took off my shoes, and went in after them. I managed to catch aboout 12 and only got bit once. Can't recall what I put them in, maybe my Lunch bucket. When I arrived home with the snakes, I placed them in a 5 gallon bucket , put a brick on the lid, and went in the house. About an hour later my Father approached me and told me in no uncertain terms to get rid of the snakes. It was dark by now, and no way was I going to take them all way back to the woods, so I released them in the backyard. There was a huge plowed field back there and I figgered they'd be okay. I piddled around outside a while longer, then went in the house. My Father asked me if I got rid of the snakes and I replied yes....they're gone.[/align]He inquired , all of them ? All, I said.[/align] [/align]Next day was a Saturday and that morning I was sitting in my window watching the neighbor hang out clothes. She bent over to reach in her clothes basket for a garment, paused , and then let out an awful screech. Quickly she turned and ran in her house, returning with a broom , with which she began smacking the grassy ground furiously. My Father heard the commotion ( figgers), and went over there to see what the problem was. I saw him look down at the ground, then back up at me sitting in my window. Then he headed for the house. It slowly dawned on me what had happened: one of the Garter snakes had strayed into the neighbor's yard and about gave her a heart attack.. My father soon verified my fears and wasted no time wearing my hind end out more furiously than the neighbor had the snake. ROFL.[/align]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
COBALT...a few years ago I was a volunteer with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. One thing we did was search areas for Salamanders.
While at the local park, I discovered a previously unknown Salamander for this area.
Good thing I had my digital camera, else there'd be no "proof." I no longer have the pic, but I did email it to the local Park Naturalist, who made an "official" record of my find.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
It's hard to turn a rock over where I live without finding red backs underneath. Occasionally I find a marbled or large slimeys. If you've ever picked up one of those you will remember it. I try and put a small rock or stick down first before putting the rock back down so nothing gets squished. I'm always amazed at how many people think a common water snake is a copperhead. They are kind of nasty as far as snakes go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay